1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

This heat is too ridiculous...

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by SanctusPullus, Jul 11, 2011.

1. SanctusPullus

SanctusPullus Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Austin, Texas
    My Coop
    Already 26 days of 100+ temps this year and two days of rain in over two months, the chickens seem to be handling it well though we haven't even neared the hottest part of the summer yet... The ten day forecast for Austin:

[​IMG]

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Just take a guess at how many days we've been over 110..... it's been horrid.

3. SanctusPullus

Jun 4, 2011
    Austin, Texas
    My Coop
    Quote:Can't imagine and I won't bother with the "but it's a dry heat" thing [​IMG] The record for Austin was something like 69 days back in the 1920's. FANTASTIC Easter chick pics by the way! What's with the green one? lol

4. dewey

dewey Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2010
    north of eternity
    In AZ, too...and feel for you with the heat there. It started raining here around 2:30am with a lightening storm for a couple hours before the rain started. So humid you can hardly breath. In the last 6 months there's only been about 1/2"-1" of official rainfall, but this storm looks like it's got some decent water in it...there's a valleywide flood advisory in place until early morning. Feast or famine, lol.

When does it start cooling off there?

Last edited: Jul 11, 2011
  5. Dunkopf

Dunkopf Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2010
    Kiowa, Colorado
    Quote:Can't imagine and I won't bother with the "but it's a dry heat" thing [​IMG] The record for Austin was something like 69 days back in the 1920's. FANTASTIC Easter chick pics by the way! What's with the green one? lol

I lived in Tx and had to work in a building in Palm Springs Ca. for 10 days. Every day was 110-115. It was hot. Got off the plane at DFW and it was 98 degrees. Felt at least 10 degrees hotter than the 110 in the California desert. Humidity makes all the difference in the world. At least you live in Austin. Best place in Tx.

6. Sjisty

Sjisty Scribe of Brahmalot

May 18, 2009
    Brooksville
    I live in Florida. Right now it is hot and humid. It's been raining almost every day for over a week and it's like breathing under water every time I go outside. I can't even walk to the maibox without coming back in drenched in sweat. We have lost three hens and three chicks in the last week, I'm assuming due to the heat/humidity. That's more than I have lost in years! I have to wonder what August will be like!!!

7. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    I know what you all mean. I know we havent had the heat you all have had in FL, TX, and Arizona but to have weeks of 90's with heat indexes in the 100's cause of the humidity and this early has been the pits. I'm with everyone else am afraid to see what August brings. I dont have AC in my house. We live in an old house and have an old furnace. In order to get central air we would have to buy a new furnace and dont have the money for that. Window units cost too much to operate and I am too cheap beside the lack of funds to do that so we suffer along. So far my chickens are doing ok. I have fans and give them ice water and hose them daily. Its so warm in the house that I have a brooder with wekk old chicks that I havent had a heat lamp on for at least 3 days and they are fine with that. I hope soon we all get relief.

8. TedJan92_in_Idaho

TedJan92_in_Idaho Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2011
    Cocolalla Idaho
    45 here now with a high of 81. It weill be the second warmest day of the year. I'm from the southeast and I do not miss the hot temps and humidity

9. SanctusPullus

Jun 4, 2011
    Austin, Texas
    My Coop
    It's miserable everywhere... except in Idaho it seems [​IMG] lol I lived in New Mexico for a while and didn't even have an air conditioner, the 110 degrees was super pleasant with just a few fans on. The humidity here starts making things downright unpleasant once it gets to 85. Won't be cool here until October probably but at least it's Austin.

10. gmendoza

gmendoza Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    Rock Hill,SC
    96 today in Rock Hill,South Carolina. Tomorrow 100+ and humid! then 95 for Wed.the rest of the week cools down to 85. I told my chickens to take their feathers off and run nekki, [​IMG] but they must be too embarrassed. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by