1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

This IS a phoenix hen... right?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by 19hhbelgian, Dec 8, 2009.

1. 19hhbelgian

19hhbelgian Pigs DO Fly!!

Apr 9, 2009
    New Tripoli PA
    I got this hen with my phoenix roo, and when I got her home, happened to notice her feet... 5 toes? I read that they only have 4 toes (as does my roo... I think. Errr, now I need to go look at his feet again!)

Here's the hen:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I know my roo is a phoenix, but how many toes should they have?

2. RhodeRunner

RhodeRunner Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2009
    Ashtabula, Ohio
    Yes, four toes [​IMG] She is a very pretty girl though! And the only birds I can think of with five toes are, Silkies, Dorkings, and Faverolles. If I was left to guess which she had in her I would think Dorking. She could I suppose have a genetic mutation. Not sure which of the following is best if you want to breed or show her though. If the rooster doesn't have it, and you breed them then you could get normal toed kids. My handy dandy chicken chart says that extra toes X normal toes is imperfectly dominate.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2009
  3. gamebirdsonly

gamebirdsonly Overrun With Chickens

Mar 5, 2007
    UTAH
    She does look just like my silver phoenix hen

4. 19hhbelgian

19hhbelgian Pigs DO Fly!!

Apr 9, 2009
    New Tripoli PA
    Yes well [​IMG] I didn't get robbed for the pair by any means, so it's ok... I'll just try to find a home for the roo (and the hen if they want her). I don't want to breed them because the chance for extra toes will always be there. Note to self ** check # of toes before leaving with new birds ** [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by