this is a rooster, right?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by imaturtlefan, Sep 19, 2011.

1. imaturtlefan

imaturtlefan Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2011
    I feel dumb even asking, because Im pretty sure he is... Ive figured out all my others, and Im almost certain this is a roo. It hatched out of a blue egg, with my other roo, but its not getting the same saddle feathers, or anything. I got these eggs from a farm, dont know the people. Its supposed to be an EE, and does have blue green legs, but Ive never seen one with no beard/muff, like this. It also isnt getting much of a comb like the other roos, but looks like a roo, I think... the other has started to crow and all that, this one hasnt. I dunno, been on the fence about this one all along, and as soon as I am sure its a rooster, I second guess, I am 95% sure its a roo, I guess Im just looking for confirmation. Also, any ideas on what it is? I mean obviously its mixed with EE, but... this one has had me guessing about everything, the poor thing doesnt even have a name, because I dont know what the heck it is! Sure is pretty though! [​IMG] In the last photo, he is with the other rooster, that hatched out of the same group of eggs, and is crowing, has the muff, getting long saddle feathers... so you can compare.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    EE rooster....

I have several EE roos, all are different, none have the muffs...yours will be a pretty roo!

here is one of my favs from my flock!
    [​IMG]

3. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Yep, Easter Egger rooster. He'll grow up to look almost identical to my previous guy.

[​IMG]

They can have beards or no beards, green or gray or even yellow legs, etc.

4. imaturtlefan

Mar 31, 2011
    OH wow...those are beautiful! I was going to find him a home, but now I dont want to! I dont need this many roosters, but if they all get along... I was going to keep the one that was mostly gray next to him in one of the photos, but may just keep both.

Ok, have another question then...I have another rooster, he has a matching hen, I call them Henry, and Henrietta, they were sold to me as Americanas, both have muffs, but, neither have green/blue legs. And I never even thought about that...till my hen started laying, and its a cream colored egg, or light tan. Guess I should post a pic of them too. Question is... would these probably just be a mix/mutt, or is there bearded chickens with yellow legs or can Americanas have yellow legs?

Last edited: Sep 19, 2011
  5. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    They're Easter Eggers too. (or, mutts, but a special kind of mutt)

True Ameraucanas aren't as common as people falsely label, and no, they don't have yellow or green legs.

6. JodyJo

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    hmm, not so sure, there are EE experts out there, that may be able to help more...if they don't carry the blue/green egg gene, they won't lay the colored eggs, I do know that much.
    I have 3 EE pullets at 14 wks old, I hope they have the gene...we will see in a few months I guess.

[​IMG]

this is one of my 3 EE girls, they have greenish legs and muffs...

7. imaturtlefan

Mar 31, 2011
    Yeah, I knew EEs were mutts, just hadnt seen any with yellow legs, and I bought these really cheap, didnt actually figure they were Americanas...just wasnt sure what they were either. The hen, is not the sharpest girl in the coop, although its kind of endearing. Shes so umm... maybe dizzy is the right word, that my kids noticed, and came to me one day and asked "mom, is Henrietta kind of 'special'"? LOL.

8. JodyJo

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    Quote:[​IMG]

9. tasha82

tasha82 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2011
    leeds
    Quote:thats an impressive chicken,hes lovely,looks hugeeeeeeeeeeeeee.xx

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by