1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

This is a tough decision will you guys please help me???

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by rockabilly7, Feb 18, 2009.

1. rockabilly7

rockabilly7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2008
    Florida panhandle
    I dont know if this is where I should post this if not im very sorry.
    On friday i got 5 baby chicks from a local feed store 1 BR pullet, 1brown leghorn pullet, 1 new hampshire red pullet, and 2 bantams. I already have 4 hens and a roo that I adore and have realized I cannot keep all 5 of my new babies [​IMG]. Can someone please tell me which of these 5 will be the best layers. Also at the feed store the tag for the bantams said assorted bantams does this mean they can turn out to be anything??? can someoen please tell me what I should get rid of??? Im at my wits end and very depressed about it. [​IMG]

2. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    Quote:I'm sorry you have to make this decision...
    I can tell you that the bantams are probably not sexed, and could be anything. If you want eggs, keep any of the 3 larger hens. The BRs are good layers, as I'm sure the others are too.
    [​IMG]

3. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    Yes the banty's could be anything, I personally don't keep bantams. Your BR,NHR,& leghorn are your best layers of what you have. You made a good choice with those three, the banty's have questionable value other than lap chicken's, but hey it's only one opinion LOL.

AL

4. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady Premium Member

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    Oh, I think you will be okay with your hens. Those first 3 will lay well for you.
    The bantams are just for looks and lovin' because they just don't lay very big eggs but you can eat the eggs. I have bantams for good broody hens and yard candy.
    I am not sure about the mixed part since I haven't ever bought from a store. But I am assuming it means they are different breeds of bantams.
    Good luck! Sounds like a wonderful start to me![​IMG]

5. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    Quote:Yard candy LOL LOL good one, never heard that one.

AL

6. Teach97

Teach97 Bantam Addict

Nov 12, 2008
    Hooker, OK
    Bantams are chickens too!!! I would keep them cuz you get more in less space! That is my $20 worth! In reality though...you have no idea what breed or sex they are...that is how feed stores sell them usually they just get hatchery choices and the little guys are to hard to sex...If you just want pure egg production go with the big ones [​IMG]

7. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    If you post pics of the bantams we can try to help you determine what they are.

8. rockabilly7

rockabilly7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2008
    Florida panhandle
    Thanks guys so much!!!! I will post pics soon i do not have a camera right now and im also at school (hehe)!!! But both my bantams are yellow chicks and the feathers on there wings are brown and white. One is very very small about the size of the peep marshmellows lol but i know that doesnt really help. It just breaks my heart to have to give them away they all sleep in my bedroom right next to bed in their brooder i adore them especially my BR and NHR and they all already have names i was goin to build a new coop and run but after thinking about it I dont think I have the room or money. but you guys have made my decision alot easier thanks so much again [​IMG]

9. Kim_NC

Kim_NC Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    Mt Airy, NC
    Agreed, I would keep the 3 standard fowl also and not the bantys.

So sorry to hear you have to make this choice. Hope it works out well for you.

10. iajewel

iajewel Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2008
    Corning IA
    I find my bantums eat less, take up less space, do butcher well and lay like crazy if I keep them from setting. They set, and make some of the best mothers you can get. Saves a fortune on bators if you only want a few chicks a year or don't want to brood your own.
    My batnys are Partridge cochins, not all bantums are good layers, setters or mothers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by