This is an emergancy!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by The Chickeneer, Feb 13, 2012.

1. The Chickeneer

The Chickeneer ~A Morning's Crow~

I'm currently in lockdown right now, and check the bator like every 10 mins or so. I went to go check it a while ago and it was at 111 degrees!!! It's a still air incubaotr and they were only like this for 20 minuits at most. I took off the cap and let them cool for a couple of mins. by the time I put the cap on, the temp said 84* but I know eggs are denser and loose heat much slower so they could have been at like 90* internal egg temp but I don't know, but will they survive?

Last edited: Feb 13, 2012
  2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Depends on how long the temp was that high, really. It takes the internal temps much longer than air temp to come up. And I've had a thermometer register from 100 to 110 right in front of my eyes and I know for a fact, it did not go that high, it was a digital thermometer glitch. Maybe yours wasn't really that high.

Still airs are much harder to regulate, generally, more prone to temp spikes, but many folks hatch in them. I wouldn't lose hope.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2012
  3. CarolJ

CarolJ Dogwood Trace Farm

Jun 3, 2011
    Middle Tennessee
    I have an incubator with a fan that maintains heat very well. Then I saw what I thought was a really good bargain on a still air incubator - so I bought it to use as a hatcher. In my opinion, it was a waste of money because the temperature varies so much - no matter how much I watch it and fine-tune it.

4. The Chickeneer

Well, It's day 19 and I usualy hear peeps by now, but nothing. No little chirps or pips in the shell, I hope I didn't kill them [​IMG]

5. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    I'm going to assume you use a Little Giant styro bator. I used one once and temp spiked over night to 110. It fried 36 shipped eggs. I renamed mine the murder-bator and sold it after 1 use.

6. The Chickeneer

Yess its an LG [​IMG] I've used it plenty times before, it's never done this. I hope one hatches......

7. wvtim

wvtim Out Of The Brooder

Feb 12, 2012
    I am about ready to pitch my LG in the trash. I have been trying to hatch eggs since November and just had my first chicks hatch over the weekend. I know the eggs are fertile, I see the hens getting molested on a regular basis. I added a computer fan on the top of the LG to blow air down into the eggs and that seems to help with the temperature spiking. Before that I had spikes of 10 - 15 degrees - I tried every possible humidity levels I have seen suggested. Most of the chicks are forming, they just dont hatch. I would not buy another still air incubator.

8. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

IMO, it's always worth it to add that fan.

9. SherrieT

SherrieT Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2007
    Barrington, RI
    I believe the computer fan should be blowing the air up, not down onto the eggs. That is how the fan in my Hovabator is set.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by