this is an emergency!!!!!!!

lucyboo

Songster
8 Years
May 30, 2011
North Carolina
hey everyone!i am a young farmer and we r havin problems w/our new chicken tht is the oldest of the flock! she looks like she is drunk but also looks like she is dying! we hv little missters out there to spray them cool whn it is extremily hot which it has the last couple weeks! she has 1 "room" mate tht grew up with her so we hear! rose (the "drunk" hen) stays in her laying box ALL day and never comes down for a drink of cold water nor a bite of food! i hv been luvin on her so she feels luved if she is about to pass on! we hv 6 chickens total. 4 in a big coop and run and 2 (rose and hennrietta) in a medium size coop and run. she has lost ALOT of feathers and whr the bare skin is she has red skin! i hv no clue on wht this is all about! plz help me! wht is the best solution? all answers r appriciated GREATLY!!! i will try anything! oh one more thing she also dusts like 15 times a day! i know this bc we hv a farmstead and r homeschooled! lol thanx!

<3 lucyboo

p.s. we dont hv roosters so she isnt laying in the box bc of a fertilized egg! lol 4got to put tht in thr!

Sounds like shes gone broody, and chickens will go broody and sit on eggs even if they are not fertile.. Get her some fertile eggs and let her hatch!!!

Hello! So sorry you've got a sick chicken. Sounds like it's really hot where you are. Maybe she had a heat stroke? I would suggest that you give her water with a dropper, possibly with vitamins/electrolites in it to give her a little boost, and if you can, put her in a crate or something and keep her where it's a bit cooler for a few days.

Good luck to you!

Sharon

thanx everyone i will confince my parents to get some fertile eggs! lol ive been working on them and hoping tht they will say yes to it one day! ummm i was planning on "bottle" feeding her tomorrow! and we thought tht they were mites to but we dont know how to treet tht other than wht we hv already done which is the de-worming all of them! wht do u mean put her in a creat whr it is cool like in a gorage or in the house? they also all hv big fans lol they r SO pampered lol

<3 lucyboo

Lice or mites, heat, broody, moulting = in that order.
Give her a good examination around vent, on legs and under wings for any tiny creepy crawlies, seeing none get her into a tub of cool water so she can be half submerged to cool her down. This will help if broody too.
After she's dry, dust her completely with food grade diatomaceous earth or 5% Sevin.

I've been thinking about this......I think maybe she has parasites like mites or lice. Those little buggers can cause a chicken to become anemic...and get very sick and die. If you dust her with Sevin Dust, and then repeat in exactly 2 weeks, that should kill them......That might explain why she's been dust bathing alot......To get those nasty bugs off.......I think I've read that if it's mites, they hide during the day and come out to suck their blood at night......

And I meant, about the crate, to put her in, say, a dog carrier.....Someplace comfortable where she can rest and not be too hot.

Crossing my fingers for you that she will recover! (I'm not positive.....Just giving my best guess....)

Sharon

thanx sooooo much!!! tomorrow is my 2nd day back at homeschool my 8th grade year yay!!!! lol and so i am getting up really early to get some stuff done with her! i will send wht u said to my mom so she can get it on an email and read it for herself instead of just my trying to explain it! i will keep u guys posted and tell u in the afternoon wht happened! thanx again! night everyone!

<3 lucyboo

If she free ranges maybe she just ate some fermenting berry's and actually is drunk?
But I second the mites!

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom