This is applicable in how many states, I wonder?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Orchid, Nov 10, 2011.

1. Orchid

Orchid Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    North Central MN
    If You Grew Up In Rural *fill in the blank*
    *You know how to polka, but never tried it sober.

*You know what knee-high by the Fourth of July means.

*You know it is traditional for the bride and groom to go bar hopping between the reception and wedding dance.

*You know the difference between "Green" and "Red" farm machinery, and would fight with your friends on the playground over which was better!

*You buy Christmas presents at Fleet Farm.

*You spent more on beer and liquor than you did on food at your wedding.

*You hear someone use the word "oof-dah" and you don't break into uncontrollable laughter.

*You or someone you know was a "Dairy Princess" at the county fair.

*You know that "combine" is a noun.

*You let your older siblings talk you into putting your tongue on a steel post in the middle of winter.

*You think Lutheran and Catholic are THE major religions.

*You know that "creek" rhymes with "pick".

*Football schedules, hunting season and harvest are all taken into consideration before wedding dates are set.

*A Friday night date is getting a six-pack and taking your girlfriend shining for deer.

*Saturday you go to your local bowling alley.

*There was at least one, if not several, in your class who had to help milk cows in the morning.

*You have driven your car on the lake.

*You can make sense of "upnort," "bat-tree" and "warrssh."

*Every wedding dance you have ever been to has the hokey pokey and the chicken dance.

*Your definition of a small town is one that only has one bar.

*The local gas station sells live bait.

*At least twice a year some part of your home doubles as a meat processing plant.

*You think that the start of deer season is a national holiday!

Here in MN we don't Warrsh anything, there is no "r" in wash. [​IMG] Other than that, this pretty much sums up life in rural MN.

2. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

Quote:Way off for the south.

3. Orchid

May 10, 2010
    North Central MN
    You have no bars? [​IMG]

Not much else to do up here in the winter other than ice fishing. [​IMG]

"Upnort" is, well, going up to the northern part of the state. [​IMG]

Maybe you could do one for down south, so we can compare?

4. mamagardener

mamagardener Chillin' With My Peeps

Some of those apply to Massachusetts.
    Some of them I have no idea what you are talking about [​IMG]

5. geckomama

geckomama Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    I just spent time in MN this summer........before even realizing you were from there, I was thinking it sure reminded me of there! [​IMG]

6. Orchid

May 10, 2010
    North Central MN
    Quote:[​IMG]

We're a little...different. [​IMG]

7. pbjmaker

pbjmaker Overrun With Chickens

May 9, 2008
    Central Iowa
    Although I didn't grow up "rural" I am from Iowa and understood all of it. [​IMG]

8. Lothiriel

Lothiriel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    If You Grew Up In Rural *fill in the blank*
    *You know how to polka, but never tried it sober. --- I never did the polka, sober or not. [​IMG]

*You know what knee-high by the Fourth of July means. --- Clueless...

*You know it is traditional for the bride and groom to go bar hopping between the reception and wedding dance. --- I don't think so...

*You know the difference between "Green" and "Red" farm machinery, and would fight with your friends on the playground over which was better! --- No, but I prefer the green. [​IMG]

*You buy Christmas presents at Fleet Farm. --- Where's Fleet farm??

*You spent more on beer and liquor than you did on food at your wedding. --- Haven't had one, but I doubt I would do that. [​IMG]

*You hear someone use the word "oof-dah" and you don't break into uncontrollable laughter. --- "Oof-dah?" What's that supposed to mean??

*You or someone you know was a "Dairy Princess" at the county fair. --- I don't know them personally, but girls from the area have been.

*You know that "combine" is a noun. --- Absolutely. And a verb. [​IMG]

*You let your older siblings talk you into putting your tongue on a steel post in the middle of winter. --- Nope, never did that. My cousin did though...

*You think Lutheran and Catholic are THE major religions. --- Can't say so for myself.

*You know that "creek" rhymes with "pick". --- There's another way to say it?! [​IMG]

*Football schedules, hunting season and harvest are all taken into consideration before wedding dates are set. --- That will probably be the case, when the time comes. [​IMG]

*A Friday night date is getting a six-pack and taking your girlfriend shining for deer. --- You mean boyfriend? And how about leaving out the six pack. [​IMG]

*Saturday you go to your local bowling alley. --- Not yet...

*There was at least one, if not several, in your class who had to help milk cows in the morning. --- You mean me? [​IMG]

*You have driven your car on the lake. --- Uhh... Noooo.....

*You can make sense of "upnort," "bat-tree" and "warrssh." --- I can make sense out of "upnort" and "warrssh," and I guess "bat-tree" is supposed to mean "battery"?

*Every wedding dance you have ever been to has the hokey pokey and the chicken dance. --- Haha, only one. [​IMG]

*Your definition of a small town is one that only has one bar. --- Hmmm.... Maybe. Not that I go out to bars.

*The local gas station sells live bait. --- Absolutely. Most all of them do.

*At least twice a year some part of your home doubles as a meat processing plant. --- No, it hasn't. The pigs went "elsewhere." [​IMG]

*You think that the start of deer season is a national holiday! --- Nope, for myself, it's the day we put the orange scarf and bell on the cow! [​IMG] But I guess most of the folks here probably view it that way.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2011
  9. Peaches Lee

Peaches Lee Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    Quote:I'm from Northern PA too! [​IMG]

10. pbjmaker

pbjmaker Overrun With Chickens

May 9, 2008
    Central Iowa
    For those that don't know - knee high by the 4th of July is how tall the corn should be.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by