1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

This is Big Sister

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by theoldchick, Jun 12, 2011.

1. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    She is a chunk of chicken. You pick her up and you know you got a hen in your arms. She is very quiet, docile and easy to get along with.

[​IMG]

This is Little Sister. She likes to follow me and talk constantly. Likes to see what I'm up to. Prefers not to be handled but will not run away when you reach for her.

[​IMG]

Although these girls were sold as JGs I suspect they are BA because they lack the yellow bottoms on their feet. Now I'm wondering if they are even the same breed? Little Sister has stopped growing and she appears to be near POL with her bright red comb and wattles. On the other hand Big Sister gets bigger and bigger. Her comb and wattles have not yet developed. They are the same age.

2. torrelee

torrelee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2011
    long beach, wa
    Big sister looks pretty australorpy to me. I have three and she looks pretty familiar. Luckily for you... AUSTRALORPS are awesome!!
    [​IMG]
    This is oprah and robyn, my biiig girls

3. uncle rico

uncle rico Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Spring Green, WI
    I think the Oldchick is right, the hen in the second pic is probably a BA-mine look almost exactly like that. I know JGs are similiar somewhat to BAs (I think BAs were used in developing the Jersey Giant breed) so it can be confusing

4. chickenlickin8

chickenlickin8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2008
    Valrico, Florida
    My Coop
    Beautiful girls. I have had BAs and JGs in the past and always were good layers and sweet birds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by