This is cute - but is it too small?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by texas_chick, Jan 26, 2009.

1. texas_chick

texas_chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2009
    Texas
    We've build so much ourselves but I am getting kind of lazy and with two little kids under 3 in tow everything takes so much longer now so I was looking into coop kits.
    I am getting 4 hens (medium size) and plan on letting them roam the pasture for the most part but I do want to put them up at night.

We're in South Texas so most of the time too hot is more of a probem than too cold.

I found this chicken coop:
    http://www.wholesalechickencoops.com/hss09 chicken coop.html
    I like it because it includes the little run but the house seems
    awfully small (actual house footprint without nesting boxes is only 27 ½” x 22” x 25 ¾”).
    Do chickens like to be close together when they sleep?

2. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    that should be fine for 4 if they get to free range at times and you can always expand the run

Last edited: Jan 26, 2009
  3. jhmoore

jhmoore Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2008
    Holly, Michigan
    I think with just 4 chickens of medium size, who are free ranging all day, you would be fine. It would be a different story if you were in a state like mine where you get very cold spells and snow, and chickens sometimes don't leave the coop for a day or two. In that case, I feel it would be too cramped. But, in your situation, it sounds perfect. And, it's nice that it has a little run too. If you go away for a day or so, they can hang out there.

4. mybelle5

mybelle5 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 19, 2008
    Memphis TN
    Our Coop is around this size but with 4 nesting boxes. I put a heating lamp inside on cold night and I lay a blanket around the outside run area.. (Psst.. My hubby thinks I'm crazy) [​IMG]

It works and The girls seem very happy.

5. Comet Mum

Comet Mum Out Of The Brooder

Oct 29, 2008
    Oxford, NC
    It is on the small side, but I think it is fine. Yes, my girls sleep all snuggled up together. But issues I would consider are: does the ramp close to provide predator protection? That might not be necessary if you have level ground and limited predators. If the ramp does close, is there sufficient ventilation for summer nights? I think it looks like a nice set up.

6. Chicken Woman

Chicken Woman Incredible Egg

Oct 16, 2008
    Montana
    How much do they want for it ? Shipping is usually pretty high ! If I were you i think i would show it to a local handyman and he can probably build it cheaper.
    It is really cute and would be fine for 4 hens.
    The problem you may find is that most of us started out only wanting a few and then and then and then. Well you probably get what I mean. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

They are truly contagious so be very careful !!!![​IMG]

7. texas_chick

Jan 26, 2009
    Texas
    Thanks for the quick replies!
    I guess I am just used to horses and goats so this seemed teeny! LOL
    One more input please.
    Here's my option # 2 - less snazzy, more open, wire floor on the house but more space
    Here's the hutch:
    http://www.critter-cages.com/index....oducts_id=81:2daad87129aa535bbd6c0ada910fa023 (good deal - scratch and ding sale)
    and attach a little run:
    http://www.critter-cages.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=256

Any preferences?
    The first one is around $400 and shipping is FREE. The second setup would come out to be around $350 with shipping...

8. texas_chick

Jan 26, 2009
    Texas
    Quote:The ramp closes but I was actually just going to install wire underground to keep critters from digging in and then the whole thing would be enclosed so to speak.
    I was going to leave the ramp open.

9. Chicken Woman

Chicken Woman Incredible Egg

Oct 16, 2008
    Montana
    If you have a TSC or feed store they usually sell rabbit hutches just like that. I have one that I use as a brooder for my younger birds until they are big enough to put in with the others.

It says 70 lbs so you would have to ask how much the shipping is. i bet the shipping is almost as much as the rabbit hutch.

10. texas_chick

Jan 26, 2009
    Texas
    Quote:The price for the hutch WITH the run AND shipping was $350

So both prices I posted are TOTALS. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by