This is driving me crazy!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by wohneli, Jun 20, 2009.

1. wohneli

wohneli Songster

Oct 6, 2008
    Gainesville
    My girls (2 each of EE, BR, BO, RIR) have not started to lay yet. They are free range, get plenty of layed feed & oyster shells. They get yogurt, cottage cheese and other treats regularly. All of them are 22 weeks old tomorrow and I haven't seen one eggs yet.
    UGGGGGGGGGG!!!!

2. bigtooks

bigtooks Songster

Apr 19, 2009
    Norwalk, Ohio
    could take up to 5 to 6 months before they start to lay...also check where they freerange..they could be laying eggs all over the yard and under stuff...good luck

Last edited: Jun 20, 2009
  3. Drafthorsegal

Drafthorsegal Chirping

May 29, 2009
    Winlock
    *lol* I feel for you!

A watch pot never boils and a watched hen never lays.

4. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    Start collecting egg recipes, they should begin soon. Many of mine begin closer to 24 weeks than 20.

But certainly also start looking around the yard, they may already be laying in their secret hideout. I keep my chickens in their pen until about 2 PM so they'll all lay in the nest boxes in their coop, and then they're allowed out for recess.

5. RendonRoo

RendonRoo Songster

Feb 7, 2009
    ft. worth
    Mine hatched Feb. 11th this year and i got my first egg today. Be patient and start watching where you step in the coop. My first egg was right in the middle of the coop floor. Good Luck

6. BAYAREABIRDER

BAYAREABIRDER Songster

Jan 1, 2009
    LOl, I got my first ee egg when they were 19 weeks old. They lay MORE than my 19 week bsls and rirs!!

7. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    This is to reassure you, not to discourage you: my girls started laying at 6 (BSL) & 7 (RIR, BR) months. When you start to see squatting behavior, you'll know that eggs will come soon.

8. CityChook

CityChook Songster

Apr 9, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    My Coop
    Mine didn't lay until 26 weeks. I thought I was going to die of anticipation... but now I get 1 a day religiously, so I guess it was worth the wait.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: