this is driving me crazy...

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Duckles, Apr 15, 2011.

1. Duckles

Duckles Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2011
    West Mass
    This is darkwing [​IMG] he's a big fatty and I love him. When he was a duckling I thought he was a cayuga but now he's all black and brown. It's driving me crazy trying to find another duck like this, does anyone know what he is? He's 8 weeks so maybe the brown is temporary? It's hard to see in this pic but there is a green tint to his head in the right light. Thanks!

[​IMG]

2. gofasterstripe

gofasterstripe Chillin' With My Peeps

Missy....erm whats her name on here...12funnybunnies she has a mallard mama and a fawn & white runner dad that kicked out some babies that look similar to yours

3. Duckles

Feb 17, 2011
    West Mass
    Could he be a mutt? He's from efowl...

4. julie75

julie75 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mallard or Rouen?? I have Rouens that have that same feather pattern. Even the males have original coloration like the females until they get their "big duck" feathers. I have ordered from E-Fowl myself and my ducks and chicks actually shipped from Cackle Hatchery. E-Fowl is only a middle man to the hatcheries.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2011
  5. Duckles

Feb 17, 2011
    West Mass
    Here he is as a wee duckling... I didn't know that about efowl. I wasn't too into them anyways, especially now that I had such a good experience with Metzer's... but anyhoo. I would have never thought Rouen! He's definitely not a mallard he's huge!

[​IMG]

6. julie75

julie75 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sorry, I changed my mind, lol. I only paid attention to his breast feathers in the first picture. Rouens & Mallards are "normally" black & yellow as babies, not all brown like in the second picture. Unless he's some type of hybrid??? IF you still had the shipping label from the box that they came in, you could locate the actual hatchery and see if they have a duck that looks similar to your baby.

Edited to add: I went to Cackle Hatchery and just looked at their duck pictures and was just wondering if it could be a Khaki Cambell? Not familar with this breed, so I don't know what they look like at their different stages of development. Maybe someone that has raised them will look and give you their opinion.

7. MissusDee

MissusDee Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2011
    Quote:8 weeks old, a drake might look like that. I think it's a Rouen.

8. clintwilson59

clintwilson59 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2010
    blanchard, louisiana
    i think he is either khaki cambel or a mutt, if it wasnt for the white mark i would defenatly say khaki c.

9. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
  10. MissusDee

MissusDee Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2011
    He's only 8 weeks old and some green is coming in on it's head. It's a Rouen I tell ya! LOL It would be weird if it was grown, or something else.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by