This Is Extremely Important To Me!!!!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Orchidsilkie, Mar 12, 2013.

1. Orchidsilkie

Orchidsilkie Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2012
    New mexico
    Hi guys! So I saw some chicks at a feed store, and I want to convince my parents to let me get some. Can you guys post some suggestions on how to build a coop and take care of chicks for a reasonable amount of money? That would be very helpful!!! I really want these chicks, and right now, it doesn't seem like mom's budging ( Dad's SO in on it though[​IMG])

THANKS GUYS!!!!!!!!!!

2. Featherland

Featherland Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    Missouri
    The coop is the biggest expense. I would check Craigs List to see if you could find something reasonable. Like maybe an old shed. and some hardware cloth. Are you and your dad handy? Do you have stuff laying around you can build something with? You can check on here for coop ideas. Keep in mind you usually need something bigger than you think. How many chickens were you wanting to get?

3. azmotogirl

azmotogirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2010
    Mesa, AZ
    Our hen house is a (actually two) Little Tykes plastic playhouses. We got them off Craig's List for very little and just built a base to put them on to get them up off the ground. That way I don't have to bend over so much so collect eggs. All our wood came from the "cull bin" or "scrap bin" at Home Depot and the paint was a can of "oops" paint that was mixed incorrectly in the paint department. Be creative! You can make a coop and hen house out of lots of everyday items that cost little or nothing!

4. Orchidsilkie

Sep 28, 2012
    New mexico
    Did you have kids? Do the chickens actually go down the slide and other things?

5. Orchidsilkie

Sep 28, 2012
    New mexico
    Checking Craigslist... [​IMG] For a chicken coop, of course.... Tell me if you guys happen to find anything on Craigslist please!

6. they'reHISchickens

they'reHISchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2008
    Reading
    As a mom, I suggest you surf this site (BYC) untill you have enough ammunition to deal with mom. Everything you need to know is here. You just have to be resourceful enough and work hard enough to find it. Plus, sooner or later you will need everything you learn here so you may as well learn it before you need it. ( Because, if you have a sick chick, you will be too freaked out to search right then and that doesn't help your chick.)
    Yes, I just gave you a big task, but raising chickens without knowing what you are in for is a bigger task. Babies of all genre are the cutest things but they grow up and you still have to care for them.
    And if your heart's desire is an "orchidsilkie", you will likely want one from a breeder, not TSC.
    Good reading!!

7. azmotogirl

azmotogirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2010
    Mesa, AZ
    No slide but we did put two side by side with the roost running through from one side all the way to the other so they can easily move back and forth. We started with one and ended up with a "duplex"
    ![​IMG]

8. Orchidsilkie

Sep 28, 2012
    New mexico
    Wow, that is one COOL chicken coop [​IMG] and @ They'reHISchickens, would making a powerpoint be good? The TSC doesn't sell silkies, but I wish they did! They mainly sell what they call " Red Pullets", not really sure what breed they are, but at least I know that a pullet is a hen... Right?

Thanks all of you for your help, and please continue to give me advice or tell me if you find a chicken coop for a reasonable price on Craigslist near me [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 25, 2013
  9. they'reHISchickens

they'reHISchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2008
    Reading
    orchidsilkie, A long written paper would be much more persuasive than a powerpoint. The longer it is, the more information you put into it, the more serious you will appear to your mother. Your mother is probably looking for sincerity and work ethic, both of which will show in a serious , well-researched paper. And if you find that you cannot get through the research and writing, think again about how devoted you will be to your new pet.

10. Orchidsilkie

Sep 28, 2012
    New mexico
    Ok, getting all the facts before I begin my paper...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by