This is how my chickens get my leftovers.

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by JetBlack, Jul 18, 2010.

1. JetBlack

JetBlack Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2010
    Coeur d'Alene, ID
    I'm having an early supper, around 3PM. Half a lemon and water, cottage cheese and some light, Chianti sausage.

"Dirty Jobs" comes on. Haven't seen this one.

They're collecting leeches and bloodsuckers, to sell. Collecting out of a swamp.

One of the guys mentions that they eat the leeches sometimes.

"...." I said, while I stopped chewing. Chewing stops, frowning starts.

One of the leech collector guy's son is a chef. Trained in France.

He shows Mike how to "clean" the leeches. Mike mentions how they definitely cook them first?

"No. Not always. You wanna see me eat a live one? See it squirm on my tongue?" he pops one on his tongue and sure enough... it squirms, right on cue. The leech is chewed [mouth open] and swallowed. Mike is offered one but he declines. Dave Barsky accepts and eats one. Raw. Whole. Didn't even warm it up, in a microwave, first.

Barsky says "It's really not bad!"

The rest of the leeches are breaded and deep fried (they make a squealing sound when frying), until they are crispy and then eaten with various sauces. All are declared "Not bad at all."

After all this, I discovered that my chickens like sausage if you cut it up small and the sausage has no salt and is really soft. They enjoyed the rest of my cottage cheese as well, but I kept the lemon water as that somehow managed to still seem refreshing.

2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

[​IMG]

Imp

3. JetBlack

Apr 19, 2010
    Coeur d'Alene, ID
    I'm on the Dirty Jobs diet. Watch one episode, with dinner, and see your appetite, just drift away.

4. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Just be glad you're not one of those guy's chickens...eating THEIR leftovers...lol!

5. JetBlack

Apr 19, 2010
    Coeur d'Alene, ID
    If you chopped up the leeches, the chickens'd probably just think you deep fried their raisins. YAY!

6. Debbi

Debbi Overrun With Chickens

May 2, 2010
    Missouri
    Not much makes me scream any more, but a leech?? Stuck on my leg, that is my hell on earth!!!!!!! Put one in my mouth?? You'd have to put me in a pyscho ward! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. AJ666

AJ666 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2010
    La Crosse, WI
    [​IMG] dirty jobs has had the same effect on me. That show can be flat out distgusting at times, I relly love watching it though.

One time he was cleaning out a septic tank. I was eating mac and cheese. My dog ate well that day.

8. thechickenchick

thechickenchick Born city, Living country

Mar 8, 2008
    Eaton, Colorado
    Quote:Well, I have tried every other diet out there, why not try this one!! [​IMG]

We love that program too, but I have never tried to eat while watching it. I do remember the first time I tried to eat while watching Fear Factor!

9. HorseFeathers

HorseFeathers Frazzled

Apr 2, 2008
    Southern Maine
    [​IMG]

10. JetBlack

Apr 19, 2010
    Coeur d'Alene, ID
    Quote:That was his first episode, I think. Remember the T-shaped bar used to stir and maneuver the.... contents? Called a "turd herder?"

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by