This is how to ship eggs!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Poison Ivy, Aug 11, 2007.

1. Poison Ivy

Poison Ivy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2007
    Naples, Florida
    I ordered 10 delware hatching eggs from mypetchicken.com and they arrived yesterday. To my surprise when I opened the box no broken eggs! I love they way they have them nestled inside of foam pockets and then another layer on top & bottom of the box. They did a excellent job in my book.

[​IMG]

2. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Great to hear your eggs arrived well. I've tried that method and the PO still managed to smash the box of eggs, so I'll stick with what works best for me. Those shipping containers ain't cheap either and till you factor that into the price, people just don't want to pay that much for hatching eggs.

Jody

3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

That's pretty nice! Must have cost a fortune.

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

That and several other methods I'm familiar with and have used work very well; that is, IF the P.O. gorilla has the day off the day your eggs come through there, LOL. I've seen some horrific things the P.O. has done to eggs packed perfectly. No matter how "gorilla-proof" you make your package, someone can get it in their mind that it's their special challenge of the day to destroy it.

5. silkiebeginer

silkiebeginer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2007
    That is how my eggs looked from Meyer Hatchery. There was a thinck layer of foam in the bottom, then an egg carton, then the foam with the egg wholes with the eggs in it, then another thick layer of foam. But 5 still ended up broken by the P.O.

Jennifer

6. Flufnstuffs~FluffySilkies

Flufnstuffs~FluffySilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    NY
  7. jackiedon

jackiedon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Central Arkansas
    FluffySilkie,

I got eggs from you back in July and they were in great shape. Of course I called the post office and told them to call me and I think you had my phone number on the box. So I picked them up at the Post Office. Same with the first batch from Napontail (JJ).

Melanie, what kind of silkie is that in your avatar? I had some of those hatch.

jackie

8. silkiebeginer

Jul 31, 2007
    I also would like to know what kind of chick that is on your avatar.

Jennifer

9. Flufnstuffs~FluffySilkies

Flufnstuffs~FluffySilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    NY
    Its a Gray - As chicks they look like the Partridge chicks BUT Much lighter.
    [​IMG]

Can ya see the diference in these Partridge Chicks
    [​IMG]

Gray Adults
    [​IMG]

10. silkiebeginer

Jul 31, 2007
    I have 2 that look like those but the feet are not blue and they have 4 toes. You think they are a kind of Cochin?

Jennifer

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by