This is kinda graphic but I need some help!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jrhodes, May 10, 2011.

1. jrhodes

jrhodes Out Of The Brooder

Nov 14, 2008
    Central Texas
    All of a sudden by RIR and Buffs are ganging up on my Barred Rocks. They keep pecking at their tail feathers until they start bleeding. They follow them around the pen all day just pecking at them constantly. They have already killed one and they are after the other one. These hens were raised together and have always gotten along. Does anyone know why they are doing this? How can I stop it. I don't really have any way to separate them. Please Help!!!![​IMG]

2. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    Many things can cause feather picking. Too cramped conditions, boredom or not enough protien in their diet. How much room do they have in their pen and coop? Do they ever get to free range? What are you feeding them?

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Try pinless peepers - it helped some lady on a different thread today. Now her birds are no longer attacking her lone silky.

4. Donna5711

Donna5711 New Egg

Nov 16, 2010
    I have 3 RIR and 3 Buffs, mine started the same thing last fall. It was just after they started laying. I sprayed blu kote on the (2) that were being pick on. (you can get this at TSC) I also sprayed a little on the others so they a had purple feathers and looked the same. The pecking stopped after a couple days. I hope the helps.

5. jrhodes

jrhodes Out Of The Brooder

Nov 14, 2008
    Central Texas
    They free range every afternoon from 3:00 until dark. I am feeding them layer pellets. They also get a little bit of chicken scratch. They have a really big pen so I know they have plenty of rooom. This is just really frustrating.

6. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    2nd on the blue kote. I had a hen that was molting and some of the others would not let her tail feathers come back in (she was the last to molt) I got the blue kote, and it kept them from continuing to peck at her and her tail feathers were able to grow in.

7. rungirl

rungirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Columbus, Ohio
    I agree on the pinless peepers. I had that problem too and the blue cote doesn't stop the picking. The pinless peepers did it.

Lisa

8. kano

kano Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2008
    Santiago de Chile
    Sorry.

Last edited: May 10, 2011
  9. kano

kano Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2008
    Santiago de Chile
    Quote: