This is Louisiana Weather for You!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by OEGBoy, Aug 14, 2007.

1. OEGBoy

OEGBoy New Egg

Aug 14, 2007
    Listen to this! About 3 days ago one of my yard hens hatched a clutch of eggs. Well, except for one. I noticed it when she left the nest 2 days ago but I just left it because she was setting in the middle of a big patch of spiney, cactus like plants and I wasn't that worried about it.
    Well, just now I was walking in my back yard and heard a chirping separate from the mom and her biddies. When I went to see what may be wrong I found a wet biddie sitting in the nest.

I can't believe the biddie still hatched after being left uncovered all during the day for it's last two days! :eek:

So all in all, I ended up getting a perfect 10/10 hatch rate! without even trying! And to think people with incubators only dream of that kind of success rate [​IMG] I guess it just proves that mother nature knows best.

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Haha, that is great. One lucky chick! It would have just got cold and died here. Hasn't hit incubation temp here once this year. Well, maybe inside of a car left in the sun...

3. bayouchica

bayouchica Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2007
    N.E. Louisiana
    Hi & welcome to BYC [​IMG] so how's the little one doing? That is one special chic ya got there. [​IMG]

4. naked_neck

naked_neck Out Of The Brooder

Aug 18, 2007
    louisiana
    i can believe it. im in la too and its usually in the upper 90's-lower 100's during the day. a few days ago it went up to 109, and that was in the shade!

5. nccountrygirl

nccountrygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2007
    Sanford N.C.
    Welcome to BYC. It sounds like the kind of weather we are having in NC, HOT and HUMID

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by