This is my 4th thread about dubbing

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Saaniya, Aug 27, 2018.

1. Saaniya

Saaniya Crowing

Aug 31, 2017
    New Delhi India
    Hello everyone
    Here I'm just so sad and very much hopeless I believe so much
    My 1.5 year old leghorn rooster tootoo
    Grow his comb so big so heavy and so thick that now made his neck bent & hes having breathing problems
    I here search at my best didn't find any vet

I always post thread about this

I ask alot of people they say that my bird will die bleeding with dubbing I'm just so hopeless
    One more friend @connectdave facing the same comb issue

Here today I'm attaching the full comb pictures

If anyone face the same and help life saving technics i shall be thankful for lifetime I love my tootoo very much I don't want to loose him at this time in his struggle where I can help him DO SUGGEST ANESTHETIC CREAM OR GEL WORK ON CHICKENS IVE LIDOCAINE BUT THAT IS TOXIC TO CHICKENS

Please help @roosterhavoc
    @TwoCrows
    @Eggcessive
    @staceyj

IMG_20180608_144206.jpg IMG20180827183642.jpg

Last edited: Aug 27, 2018
  2. MissChick@dee

[email protected] ~ Dreaming Of Springtime ~

Aug 18, 2017
    Caliente Nevada
    Sorry for your problems. If it were my Rooster I’d take him to a vet to have him dub’d. I’d be scared to try it myself. The vet should know that you want it done for HEALTH reasons (neck,breathing etc) not for show or fighting. My best wishes to you.

Susan Dye, staceyj, EggWalrus and 7 others like this.
  3. Saaniya

Saaniya Crowing

Aug 31, 2017
    New Delhi India

I would take him to vet if here in my area any located

Susan Dye, staceyj, EggWalrus and 5 others like this.
  4. RoostersAreAwesome

RoostersAreAwesome Free Ranging

May 21, 2017
    Have you asked the people on the gamefowl threads? They might have some advice about dubbing.

Susan Dye, staceyj, EggWalrus and 5 others like this.
  5. ButtonquailGirl14

ButtonquailGirl14 Crossing the Road

Jul 13, 2017
    Northport WA
    if you do do it, I would only dub enough for him to be healthy, too much and he will get too warm in the summer.

Susan Dye, staceyj, EggWalrus and 2 others like this.
  6. penny1960

penny1960 Going back to La La Land

Dec 29, 2015
    Mossyrock, WA
    I use a dremmel tool to cut spurs with a cutting head spins at such speed to cauterize
    as it cuts no idea would be valid you would need at last three to assist any other opinions

7. ButtonquailGirl14

ButtonquailGirl14 Crossing the Road

Jul 13, 2017
    Northport WA
  8. Saaniya

Saaniya Crowing

Aug 31, 2017
    New Delhi India

Yes , few months ago some advice leave it now it has making problems

9. FlyingNunFarm

FlyingNunFarm Crossing the Road

May 28, 2015
    Chesterland, OH
    My Coop
    I am not a vet. I have never dubbed a chicken. But I delved into the world of YouTube to see what most people say about how they dub.

It does seem medically necessary for the poor fellow. My biggest concern is blood flow. Why did his comb grow so big? I don't know the answer to that but with it being so large I would be concerned with high blood volume.

In most of the videos I watched people used very sharp scissors. Where the comb is cut seems to be breed standard or personal preference. If it were me I would plan ahead. Even mark a line on his comb to give myself an idea of where I want to cut. Clean everything thoroughly. Be overly prepared for bleeding. In most videos people had flour on hand. I would have something to slow bleeding. Flour, corn starch, styptic powder. Have plenty of towels. A helper would be, well-- helpful, but if not you can do this. I'd wrap him up snug but not too tight and commit. Don't start and stop. Remember you are doing this for his health. You may need to keep pressure on the wound. I wouldn't pinch the comb itself but downward pressure on the cut.

I hate to say it but be prepared for the worst case scenario of him not making it. I think he has a good chance of surviving this but things do go wrong. At least you would know you tried and he wouldn't be suffocating slowly from his comb being in the way.

Good Luck! You can do it! Keep us posted.

Susan Dye, staceyj, EggWalrus and 7 others like this.
  10. Saaniya

Saaniya Crowing

Aug 31, 2017
    New Delhi India

His comb grow cause of hotness in my country especially the city I am in temp goes up to 50C in June

His comb grow almost fully 1 inch in a month of his growing

We really didn't aware that the comb grow that much giant
    One more friends facing the same @connectdave

The concern is same with me too about the flow of the blood

Sometimes his comb gets balck when he sit in cool wind or air condition

I watch so many videos I hope some one experience the same issue and share their successful story but I'm really glad everyone sending their opinions

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: