This is my first post, I NEED help with my quail chicks. A few of them have started losing patches o

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Goof333, Feb 10, 2015.

1. Goof333

Goof333 New Egg

Feb 10, 2015
    They are about a week and a half old and this just began within the last few days, prior to this they were completely fine. About 5-6 out of the 16 chicks have developed balding spots on each side of their necks, some only have it on one side of their neck. I have not seen any pecking each other and yet I have not found any feathers on the bottom of their brooder. They have been grooming themselves a lot. Some chicks effected are smaller than others.

The odd thing is it seems to be only my gold and pharaoh coloration chicks that are losing feathers, my 3 Texas A&M chicks are extremely fluffy and plump.

I have checked under their wings and around the balding spots for mites or lice and I have not found any.

This is my first time with quail chicks and I hatched them myself.

I have never had this happen with any of my chicken chicks.

Is it dietary? I was unable to find any game bird starter at my local feed store so I substituted for some regular chick starter and I combined it with about 1/3-1/2 regular quail feed and some finely crushed up meal worms.

I change their bedding frequently and have started moving a few at a time outside to a much larger pen with a single bantam game hen who had adopted 3 of the quail chicks as soon as they hatched. The 3 outside who were raised by the banty hen are not balding in any way. Maybe indoors it was overcrowding?

I have searched the far corners of the internet and could not find any answer, so I made an account here to post this question.

Thank you and please hurry with help. [​IMG]

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    I dont know anything about quail. However space requirements could be a problem as you mentioned. You mentioned that you havnt found feathers at the bottom of the brooder, yet they have bald spots around the neck area, also they are grooming themselves alot.
    By grooming themselves this young, they are preparing for the new growth of feathers. It initially can be irritating to them but this is a natural process until they are fully feathered, this is normal for chickens as well. Since you havnt seen shed quail fluff/feathers at the bottom of the brooder indicates that they are eating the fluff/feathers. This is due to the lack of enough protein in their diet which could ultimately lead to picking fluff or feathers off each other, if it isnt already happening. I dont know what young quail are fed, but I know they're going to need some type of feed with a higher protein content.

3. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Dawg53 gave you good advice here. I don't know much about quail and feeding etc, but @TwoCrows will be able to tell you more.

4. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    As strange as this sounds, it is very common for gold color mutations to go bald at this age. They look hideous as they molt into their adult feathers!! If you were to ask this question in our quail section you would get..."yes, my gold and yellow chicks were bald!" or "I thought they had some sort of disease!" LOL For some reason, this color mutation molts hard, fast and looses their under down and doesn't grow it back very fast. So you will notice this in the future with a lot of bald babies with the lighter colored birds.

However as Dawg has mentioned, make sure they all have at least 1/2 square foot per bird in the brooder so they aren't inclined to be picking on each other. And give them something to do. Quail and be aggressive in the brooder. So cut down a cereal box or something and put some sand, chick starter, some dried leaves from outside, a few small wild bird seeds in there and let them scratch around. Even a few thin cut branches from outside to play on will help break up boredom.

Oh, and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Glad I said that I didnt know anything about quail ! [​IMG] I'll stick with chickens LOL.

1 person likes this.
  6. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by