This is my first time incubating & Question!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by noriko, Jan 5, 2009.

1. noriko

noriko Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2008
    N E Pennsylvania
    I just got the eggs by mail. Do I have to place the eggs at room temperature with the large end up for couple hours or so before placing them into my incubator & under my brooding hen since it's been pretty cold? If so, how long? Thank you! Noriko.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2009
  2. AWChickens

AWChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2008
    Bloomington, IN
    Yes! I didn't do that with my first batch of shipped eggs (didn't know any better), and got a MUCH poorer hatch rate than if you let them slowly warm up and allow the air cell to stabilize. I've heard a lot of opinions on here as to how long, I let mine sit at room temp for 8 hours before I put them in the incubator. Good Luck [​IMG]

3. noriko

Nov 9, 2008
    N E Pennsylvania
    OK! I'll put the eggs in my incubator and under my bloody silkie tonight. Thank you for the information. You are my big help! Noriko.[​IMG]

4. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Anywhere from 6 hours to 24 hours is what most people do. Have a good hatch!!

5. needmorechickens!

needmorechickens! Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2008
    West TN
    What ya hatchin?
    Good luck!
    ~Rebecca

6. noriko

Nov 9, 2008
    N E Pennsylvania
    Tuffoldhen: Thank you for your reply! I'm glad I joined BYC. So many nice people!

needmorechickens! : I got 9 Welsummer eggs. I'm so nervous but, sooooo excited too! How many eggs do you think I can put under my silkie hen because Welsummer eggs are so big?[​IMG] That's why I'm going to use my incubator too.(It's ready!)

I'm sorry if my English sounds funny since I'm Japanese;) Noriko.

7. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    I'd do 4 or 5 under the hen (just see how many you can safely fit under her if they are large eggs and 4 in the bator... that should or would give you good odds. Do you have other eggs you can set in the bator or just the Welsummers?

8. noriko

Nov 9, 2008
    N E Pennsylvania
    I gave 6 eggs to 2 broody silkie hens(3 eggs for each silkie) and put 3 eggs in the incubator. My silkies are sitting on these eggs today too! But, this is first time for them to sit on the eggs and it's very cold outside(We got ice storm today!), soooo I put 3 eggs in the incubator, just incase. But!!! this incubator is a pain!!! I have LG 9200 W/turner(also my hubby put the computer fan inside of it for me). This incubator is very hard to adjust the humid inside. It goes down to 25% so quickly after I added little water and...wait little, it goes up to 75% or so. I try to set it up between 30~45% but, no way! So, I have to keep eye on it all the time. I don't know what to do when I have to go out. Even temperature sometimes changes between 97~102.(once it hit 104...)

I was just wondering if anyone else has a same problem or not...... Thanks you, Noriko:D

9. noriko

Nov 9, 2008
    N E Pennsylvania
    I just got a good information from another thread. I'm going to try it right now! Noriko.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by