1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

This is my green who has the neck injury.... i posted couple months ago finally got good pics

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by peafowlmom, Dec 1, 2012.

1. peafowlmom

peafowlmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2011
    Summerville ,SC
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The 3rd and 4th picture show it best. I was hoping someone might have seen a similar injury and tell me what happened or if I should treat her in any way, I believe she still pecks at it. She is supposed to be full java green, but see all the brown in her face??? any ideas of what she really is?

2. MinxFox

MinxFox Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2010
    Pensacola, FL
    Okay these pictures of her are better than in the other topic...I do think she could be pure. She has what I would be looking for in a green peahen at least. Her colors look good and the neck feathers she does have look to be the right color. The brown on the face is normal. With greens the peahens will have some brown on their face but the peacocks will have the blue. Here you can see an example of a close up of an imperator green peahen and she has brown on her face.

As for the missing feathers, I have seen photos of green peafowl like this before. Green peafowl are more prone to feather picking because they get more easily stressed. When did her neck get that way? If it happened recently after you brought her home she could just be a bit stressed from the new surroundings and started pulling feathers. Make sure you have them in a large pen. I think they will pull feathers if they are not in a large enough area too. Hopefully she will calm down and stop pulling out her pretty feathers. A local breeder has a green pair and one time his peahen had a few breast feathers missing. I suspected she pulled them. She was pacing the pen a lot and I guess she was just a bit stressed. Hopefully she will calm down...It isn't fun that she is missing feathers durring the winter. Good luck with her.

3. I am assuming that there is no "wound"? It appears she is feather picking. If they get psycho they can do this. How big is the enclosure? Does she have a buddy?

4. peafowlmom

peafowlmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2011
    Summerville ,SC
    That is what the throat looks like?? She has a male they get along well. 12 by 12 w/ tree and some bushes. Big net over top

5. new 2 pfowl

new 2 pfowl Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2012
    California
    In the third and fourth pictures, it looks as though she actually has some kind of a hole in the skin - is that the case?
    Since you originally posted almost two months ago and this hasn't healed, I'd take her to the vet.
    Or at the very least, catch her and get some good close up pictures of the wound site itself so those here with more experience can help you to assess what is going on with her.
    It doesn't seem like a good idea to just let that go.
    If she does have a wound that isn't healing properly, she could get a bad infection.

6. MinxFox

MinxFox Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2010
    Pensacola, FL
    I don't know if you could get some sort of anti-peck device for her...Maybe some kind of treat that she would have to peck a lot at to eat...

7. I cannot tell if I am just looking at bare skin or a wound. Can you describe it?

8. If it were an open wound for that long it would certainly have caused massive infection by now I would think....And don't take this the wrong way, but grab the net (that everyone should have) and get a close look at the problem or it might take another two months to figure out.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by