This is my Rooster DeWalt

Handsome boy. And
welcome-byc.gif
from Long Island!

Thanks for the Hello's.
I just brought home 2 hens and DeWalt is showing off, kicking up hay and laying next to the pen where the hens are. Does this mean he likes them?

Really? You think he likes them? I have the 2 RIR in a pen in the coop. He keeps real close to the pen and did come up to the deck for his nightly snack, but right back to the pen. I think I'll leave the new Hens in the pen a day ( got them today) or 2 then let them out. Your Thoughts on this?

DeWalt usually eats his snack, then Roosts on the deck railing all night, Cocking his Doodle Doo under my window in the AM. I believe tonight he's roosting in the pen with his Ho Hens. I think he's either in love, or or guard. Not sure which.

DeWalt is obviously smitten by the new ladies. He's probably really pleased you brought him some sister-wives.
wink.png

He's very handsome!!

Now, let me warn you about Chicken Love, if you're not familiar with it. The successful act itself lasts only a few seconds. Boy chickens are masters of the Mount and Run method. If the lady doesn't squat for him so he can mount her easily, he may chase her to grab her and force her into a squat. He'll grab the feathers at the back of her head and ride her like a pony.

A submissive hen will squat, the rooster mounts, she lifts her tail-feathers up and to one side, he tucks his rear end down and moves his tail-feathers to the side to make contact, and it's done.

The Rooster Wing Drop, Circle Dance of Love is adorable; gentlemen roos perform it to convince the ladies to squat. I hope DeWalt has the genetic memory to perform for his ladies.

Also, gentlemen roos will call the ladies over for treats and wait for them to eat goodies before he eats his. (Unless it's a particularly wonderful treat; my dominant rooster Carl does this for all treats except shredded cheese. He eats his first THEN drops some for his ladies. All the other treats, he takes and drops. Cheese he can't resist eating.

DeWalt is obviously smitten by the new ladies. He's probably really pleased you brought him some sister-wives.
wink.png

He's very handsome!!

Now, let me warn you about Chicken Love, if you're not familiar with it. The successful act itself lasts only a few seconds. Boy chickens are masters of the Mount and Run method. If the lady doesn't squat for him so he can mount her easily, he may chase her to grab her and force her into a squat. He'll grab the feathers at the back of her head and ride her like a pony.

A submissive hen will squat, the rooster mounts, she lifts her tail-feathers up and to one side, he tucks his rear end down and moves his tail-feathers to the side to make contact, and it's done.

The Rooster Wing Drop, Circle Dance of Love is adorable; gentlemen roos perform it to convince the ladies to squat. I hope DeWalt has the genetic memory to perform for his ladies.

Also, gentlemen roos will call the ladies over for treats and wait for them to eat goodies before he eats his. (Unless it's a particularly wonderful treat; my dominant rooster Carl does this for all treats except shredded cheese. He eats his first THEN drops some for his ladies. All the other treats, he takes and drops. Cheese he can't resist eating.
This is a perfect description of chicken love. Yes, I think that DeWalt is most likely in love.

You guys are the best. This place is better than Facebook.
So you agree I should leave the hens penned for a few days ?
I was thinking on letting them out and free roam but watching them. Is there something I should do to intervien if a fight breaks out?

Back
Top Bottom