This is normal right?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by CrazyCrttr75, Jun 4, 2019.

1. CrazyCrttr75

CrazyCrttr75 Free Ranging

Apr 21, 2018
    Robertson County, TN
    I have a trio of ducks. A male Rouen, a female Rouen and a female Khaki Campbell (?). My KC, Annabelle, has gone broody and wants to hatch some babies. After trying to deter her a few times, I finally relented and gave her a couple extra eggs to go with the 2 she was sitting on. I figured 4 was plenty. Well, we now have 8:thbut no more! We're having to pull the extra that my female Rouen, Xena, keeps trying to lay in her nest. :rant We are only on day 6 so far and I'm concerned that she isn't eating or drinking. So my question is this: Is it normal for a duck to fast while sitting on a clutch of eggs? In the beginning she would get up off of the nest and grab some food and go for a swim in their pool. Maybe forage for bugs. But now it is with laser focus that she is sitting and sitting only.
    IMG_5244.JPG
    Yesterday we had to physically pick her up in order to collect the extra egg because she just was not budging. Her food and water is right next to where she is at so she doesn't have to go very far. A bad pic but it still gives you an idea. She's behind/to the side of the inner door of their coop. The black bowl is where I keep their food and the white bucket is water.
    IMG_5255.JPG
    I don't have any hatching experience. Not with an incubator nor a broody. So this is new for me. Is there anything I should watch for, besides cute little webbies? I have my calendar marked so I can keep up with the timing of everything. I'm excited :celebrate and nervous :fl all at the same time. And of course, waiting is the hardest part. :barnie

2. Magnolia Ducks

Magnolia Ducks Crowing

Jan 24, 2018
    Magnolia, TX
    I have never done this from what I read on here it's normal but wait for the experts to come by I am sure they will be here shortly @WVduckchick

3. Texas Kiki

Texas Kiki Egg Pusher

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    My Coop
    As you know I don't do broodies.

I believe it is normal for them to not get up at all.

I wouldn't worry yet.

4. Texas Kiki

Texas Kiki Egg Pusher

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    My Coop
    Could you rig up something..maybe nail a small fish to the wall right next to her to where she really doesn't have to get up to eat?
    And so you can keep an eye on the small dish to see if she is actually eating?

I'd block her off do no one else could get to her water and food so I could monitor it better. If she were mine.

5. CrazyCrttr75

CrazyCrttr75 Free Ranging

Apr 21, 2018
    Robertson County, TN
    I had to read this twice because I was wondering why a fish needed to be nailed to the wall :lau

But my hubby mentioned putting something right in front of her as well. As for the food, we keep it there because it's really the only place where it can be kept dry. We'll have to see what we can do.

6. Texas Kiki

Texas Kiki Egg Pusher

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    My Coop
    :barnie:barnieDish. My bad.

7. Helloworld

Helloworld Songster

Jul 17, 2018
    Down on the Suwannee River
    Yes very normal.

For about a week you will see her preparing. Pulling chest feathers, packing eggs, etc. Typical lay would be 6-8 for hatch. Anymore and they are filling it up and not ready. You will need to separate her from other ducks. They all want to lay in the same nest. This is why you will see ducks give up half way through the 28 day process. If you have a broody duck, confine it because other hens won’t give up deposit hole. They are not great moms and if conditions are not right they get right up and go on.
    Give her food, water at laying level right by her head until you see her get up and take care of herself. At this time, she has decided that the temperature is high enough to keep her babies while she is gone. If she “locked down” 6 days ago, and has been sitting there then your adventure has begun!

Don’t touch her eggs. Once she gets up, usually day 10-14, provide her with a baby pool with about 2 inches of water so it is easier than throwing water on her chest to keep egg humidity high enough. Now you sit and wait. I hope it works out for you! Believe you me, I raise different waterfowl and if their situation is not right, they will get right up and say “enough of this!” Before they starve. Promise. Its the worse thing about them lol they think only of themselves! Good luck!

Texas Kiki, ronott1 and CrazyCrttr75 like this.
  8. ronott1

ronott1 A chicken will always remember the egg

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, CA
    My Coop
    I sounds normal for brooding

CrazyCrttr75 likes this.
  9. DuckyDonna

DuckyDonna Free Ranging

Aug 26, 2018
    Dallas, Georgia
    ronott1 and CrazyCrttr75 like this.
  10. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life

It can be normal behavior for a broody but you don’t want her doing that nasty broody poop in her nest so don’t put her feed and water in front of her you want her to get up and go outside. I have a Muscovy brooding right now and yesterday by roost time she hadn’t come out so I went in picked her up butt facing away from me ( learned that lesson the hard way) today she came out on her own. Boy a good thing she did too that broody poop is very nasty and a lot of it. Plus you want her eating and drinking even if she doesn’t eat much? Brooding is tough on them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: