THIS IS NOT A YOLKING MATTER

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Francischick, Mar 2, 2013.

1. Francischick

Francischick Out Of The Brooder

Sep 16, 2012
    mississippi
    2 OF MY BABY CHICKS LOOK LIKE THEIR YOLK DIDN'T ABSORB ALL THE WAY. ONE IS WORSE THAN TH OTHER i HAVE THEM IN THE BROODER BUT SEPARATED FROM THE OTHERS. IS THIS A LOSE CAUSE OR SHOULD THEY BE CULLED i DON'T WANT THEM TO SUFFER.

2. 1 Happy Hen

1 Happy Hen Out Of The Brooder

Feb 14, 2013
    Michigan
    I just hatched my 3rd generation a month ago, and a few of mine was the same way. They should be ok, they will still absorb the yolk. I think you should give them time. when were they hatched?

3. Francischick

Sep 16, 2012
    mississippi
    They were just hatched today but they had a hard time of it. They have good lungs though and are very active. If they make it I will have 16 out of 20 eggs not bad odds. But I still have some that are due to hatch next week as well.

4. 1 Happy Hen

Feb 14, 2013
    Michigan
    I think they'll be ok. I think they just broke out of their shell a little too soon. 16 out of 20 is not bad odds at all. Out of 60 eggs that I incubated only 35 hatched. Best of luck!

5. 1 Happy Hen

Feb 14, 2013
    Michigan
    How's the little one? I hope it doing good!

6. Francischick

Sep 16, 2012
    mississippi
    Out of the three I had like that 2 survived. They are doing just fine.

7. gimmie birdies

gimmie birdies Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    some times the yolk gets absorbed it just takes time. and keep it dry. once the chick is out of the egg it doesn't need to be wet anymore.

8. 1 Happy Hen

Feb 14, 2013
    Michigan
    Sorry to hear that one didn't make it. Sometimes it just happens like that. But I'm glad to hear the other ones are fine!

9. Francischick

Sep 16, 2012
    mississippi
    I lost one of my little ones it was one of the smallest and to be truthful surprised it made it this long.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by