This is not going very well...any ideas?

Yardbirds286

Songster
11 Years
Jan 7, 2009
Western Mass
My 2 4 week old BR's are velociraptors! I have one larger brooder with the two BR's on one side and my 2 week old BO's on the other separated by hardware cloth. They have been looking at each other through the screen for weeks now so I thought I would try to get them acquainted. OH BOY! The big BR's went after them like mad! It went on for about 30 min and the divider went back up. The BO's are so sweet, and quiet. They jump up on my hands and love to hang out with you. The BR's are loaded with personality, but will take your hands off for yogurt, or grapes. They hate being held, but are very lovable girls with each other. Will these guys ever get along? Does anyone else have these two breeds together with any problems? They are very different in size right now and I am assuming that is part of the problem. The BR's are just way more boisterous and aggressive. Am I worried for no reason? You can get an idea of the size difference in this pic.

20764_cimg3013.jpg

The only idea I have is to keep them separate until the size difference evens out.

They'll get along, don't worry. It's just that the big girls are bigger, and they consider the brooder their territory now- once you stick 'em all in the coop when they get a bit older they'll squabble a bit and then be best friends for life. It's worse than watching kids fight, isn't it?
tongue.png

Oh yeah- the screen is a really good idea! I did that too- worked out nicely.

Last edited:
It was awful to watch! I have a 3X6 brooder and the big girls ran the BO's down and just pecked at them until they were huddled together in the corner behind their water. Then the biggest BR went for my little Lucy who is the smallest BO and pulled out a mouth full of feathers from her back. She screamed! I could not stand it a second longer. The little ones are all ok now, happy and peeping away eating their little hearts out. I think they are saying C'mon girls we have to catch up the those biggins over there." LOL Aren't BO larger as adults anyway?

BTW Dappertophatter, my dad (RIP)was a lifeguard on the Jersey Shore back in the 60's

Last edited:
These little ones are way too young to put with adult hens. The rule of thumb is to wait until the youngsters stop peeping and start sounding like adults before mixing them. If they are too young, the big girls will often kill them.

My BR did this to chicks their same size when they were little. They all live together now, but they took after the lighter colored chicks something FIERCE!!
Now look at them.
4672653196_b3e2c06e03.jpg

I bet waiting until they are older will help. I know it did with mine.

I have EE's, BR's, BO's & GS's...the EE's and BR's seem to be the bossiest of the 4 with the EE's coming in first. Mine are only 12 days old, so I don't have much advice, except to say I hate seeing them squabble too...I am just so relieved my kids don't have beaks! ARRGH!!!

Quote:
Oh I don't have any adult hens. Mine are all still peeping. They are 4 weeks and 2 weeks. But the BR's are HUGE!

This is the smaller girl Stripes, Lacey is a full inch taller and heavier!
20764_cimg3003.jpg

I am glad to here that they will get along eventually. Those picks are encouraging!
thumbsup.gif

Last edited:
i have a 1 wk old EE and several 4 day old chicks in the brooder....one of my BR (4days old) will not leave my EE alone....pecking her feet, her eyes, her back when she lays down..i had to take my EE out, wrap her in her favorite blanket so she could sleep!!! the BR has calmed down some but i was shocked that the younger chick was beating the older chick up!!!

Back
Top Bottom