This is not porcelain.. What color is it? OEGB

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Moochie, Jan 28, 2012.

1. Moochie

Moochie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2010
    North Edwards
    [​IMG][​IMG]At first I thought my breeding pair were porcelain.. After looking at some pics online the pullet does not match the other porcelain hens. I wanted to breed them to get possible show birds, but before I do that I should know what I'm dealing with. The pullet has already started laying eggs too... And pretty soon some of my chickens will be going broody crazy... It's so tempting!
    Here's some pics, of both just incase the roo isn't porcelain either.
    The last pic is when they were younger. Still not good color quality. :L[​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 28, 2012
  2. Moochie

Nov 8, 2010
    North Edwards
    Sorry for the poor quality, these were taken on my iPod.

3. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Fawn silver duckwing? Neither looks anything like porcelain.

4. Moochie

Nov 8, 2010
    North Edwards
    Is that a real color? Oh dear lol. Maybe I shouldn't have any eggs hatch at all if I was just sold some random mixed color.. [​IMG] I thought they were pretty and $15 for the pair seemed like a good price.

5. Moochie

Nov 8, 2010
    North Edwards
    I just looked up fawn silver duckwing. The rooster kind of looks like it but he doesn't have enough brown in his feathers like the other rooster had. Gosh dangit I wanted show birds or breeding stock to get show birds. [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. Jaboyd2u

Jaboyd2u Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2008
    Branford Fl

7. Sonoran Silkies

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Yes it is a real, recognised variety. The cock may have two copies of dun, which could account for his lightness.

8. Moochie

Nov 8, 2010
    North Edwards
    Yeah I can't pay that much for a bird... I'll still hatch some babies from them! No matter what quality they are, they are so cute with their buggy eyes! [​IMG] I need more pullets for the roo anyways. And I know a couple people in the neighborhood that would be intrested in youngins to add to their flocks. This spring I might also buy Japanese Bantam eggs from a neighbor to put under a broody.
    The price is actually haggled, they were originally $20 but my mom haggled em' down to $15. There was a creole/or barred pair too but I'm not a fan of creole/or barred colored birds. I'm very careful when I buy show quality birds because sometimes the seller is actually selling the culled birds... So like you payed some amount for a bird you were expecting to be great but when you get the bird in the mail it has DQs. Or the seller will show a picture of the parent birds, which are good looking birds, but don't show the offspring.. This has happened to a neighbor and I've seen in it CL ads.

9. Jaboyd2u

Jaboyd2u Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2008
    Branford Fl
    I know what you mean I have seen pictures on CL and went to get the birds and fell out... The birds you have are NOT bad at all I like haggling myself... It will take some selective breeding taking the best hens breeding them back to the dad and the best Roo to the mom however you want to do that but you should get some nice ones I enjoy improving a breed. The thing I dislike about the OEGB is in order to show a Cock bird they have to be Dubbed (cut the comb, ear lobes and hackle's off) I hate that portion of it but they do (to me) look better cleaned up like that. Happy Breeding...

10. Sonoran Silkies

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by