This is not right! (Pic Heavy) UPDATED!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by melissastraka, Apr 4, 2009.

1. melissastraka

melissastraka Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2009
    Hoquiam, WA
    I am so frustrated right now and need to vent. [​IMG]
    In January I my DH bought 25 3 week old chicks from a local "breeder". We were new to chickens at that time but figured that a "breeder" would tell us what they were. [​IMG] We were suppose to get RIR, BR, SLW, and BA's, all pure breed. They are now 3 months and out RIR are not RIR's they look like some kind of game, our BR are about the lowest hatchery standard i think they could sell, a couple of our "BR" are have so messy barring that it looks like my 3 year old splatter painted them, I dont even think we got SLW and if so, they are horrible, and our BA's are Black Stars. Now, dont get me wrong. These are my babies and I love them just the same, I am just mad that we paid $7 for starters and they were all suppose to be pure and pullets. There are 12 roos in the bunch! I am going to get some better pics (I have posted a bunch before but I still need help since I cant even tell the right breed anymore [​IMG] ) in a while to ask for some help. I am going to make a separate pen for these since I was trying to breed to sell hatching eggs. I do love them though and they are already starting to lay "fart" eggs. Thanks...I needed that!

Last edited: Apr 4, 2009
  2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I understand your frustration! That person sounds more like a propagator than a breeder. Sometimes they just think no one really cares about breeds because they simply know nothing about what they have.

Oh, Melissa, I have quite a few of those Barred EE eggs for you and if you like, I'll throw in a couple of the Blue Orpington eggs as a bonus. Is that okay? And I guarantee the Orps are pure! [​IMG]

3. melissastraka

Feb 26, 2009
    Hoquiam, WA
    Here are the pictures, please help me!

BR with white legs???

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

My "RIR" (I have 3 of these and they all look the same, I dont even know what gender)

[​IMG]

SLW-I have 6 of these and again, they all look the same.

[​IMG]

My black stars-I dont know which one is a roo and hen...
    Black with white spots on his breast

[​IMG]

Black with gold around his neck

[​IMG]

4. melissastraka

Feb 26, 2009
    Hoquiam, WA
    Quote:your my new best friend! [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

Anyone who has a two birds with the correct parts can call themselves a breeder.....

6. speckledhen

So true, Chris, but unfortunate. Melissa, you do have some black stars in there. They are the black with brown down the chest. The SLWs look like roosters. That's a roo color pattern in that breed. The supposed RIRs are mixed with game I think. NOT a BR with the white legs. Even the barring is awful. Could be Cuckoo Marans cross or something along those lines.

7. elliemay0305

elliemay0305 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2008
    the black and white look like barred rocks to me. and red ones with green tails arent RIR. not that i needed to tell you that. [​IMG] they other black and white one i cant remeber the name but i have had one. it will be a pretty hen or rooster. i had a rooster and had someone stop at my house just to buy him. [​IMG] if your not happy with them you could always sell them!

8. melissastraka

Feb 26, 2009
    Hoquiam, WA
    Quote:all of my barring is awful. so, you think if all my slw have those markings they are roos?

9. speckledhen

If you go to Feathersite.com., you'll see lots of examples of SLW cockerels. They look quite different than the girls, much more white in hackle and saddle areas. Here is one of their pics:
    [​IMG]
    Then, the hen:
    [​IMG]

10. melissastraka

Feb 26, 2009
    Hoquiam, WA
    Quote:thanks so much. i just separated my slw roos from my hens in another coop. i was going to try to breed them but their eggs will be great too. they will go into my "barnyard coop" of mixes and i will start over with pure eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by