This is Our [Poultry] Slaughterhouse

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Whizbanger, Jan 4, 2011.

1. Whizbanger

Whizbanger New Egg

Nov 13, 2009
    I recently came across a very interesting free-to-watch documentary movie on the internet. It is titled, "This is Our Slaughterhouse," and is about a family in Ohio that has a small, community-based poultry processing business. If you have an interest in poultry processing in general, you will like this movie. Here is how it is described:

This short documentary follows the ten workers of Broerman Poultry Processing, revealing their surprisingly close relationships, despite the gruesome nature of their job. The colorful interviews and raw supporting footage give new perspectives on family values, hard work, and what happens inside a slaughterhouse.

The filmmaker Matthew Broerman writes "I never thought of making a documentary. It took a friend to convince me that not everyone grew up working in a slaughterhouse. I realized the slaughterhouse I had worked in all those years was bizarrely entertaining enough that it might make an interesting documentary. So in the fall of 2002 I began creating This is Our Slaughterhouse."

Here is the link: This is Our Slaughterhouse

Best wishes,

Herrick Kimball
    (author of the Whizbang plucker plan book)
    (on sale in January 2011 )

2. chicks4kids

chicks4kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Northern Indiana
    That's a nice video. I especially liked the way they hung the turkeys...since I almost broke a finger on a turkey the last time I processed, that hook/ankle grabber thing looks awesome! I sure wouldn't mind one of those!!

3. Whizbanger

Whizbanger New Egg

Nov 13, 2009
    I was thinking the same thing as I watched the movie. I plan to make a hanger like that.

4. averytds

averytds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2008
    KS
    Interesting. Thanks for the link.

5. peterlund

peterlund Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2010
    MA Cranberry Country
    Loved the documentary. Shows the human side of a natural part of the food chain. I have the experience to actually watch a smaller processor in my area do my birds, as well as animals up to small cows. An eye opening sight, but mesmerizing. Thanks for the link. Good luck with your book sales.

6. Dogfish

Dogfish Rube Goldberg incarnate

Mar 17, 2010
    Western Washington
    What an enjoyable film. Thanks for sharing.

7. RoosterGeek

RoosterGeek Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2010
    Lebanon, TN
    Thanks Herrick! I'll watch that tonight. Oh yeah, I took advantage of your plucker book scratch and dent offer. [​IMG]

8. Leah and peeps

Leah and peeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2009
    Canada
    That was reall interesting to watch! Thanks for posting! [​IMG]

9. Interesting. That is one nice little set up. Reality of raising for meat. Seemed like an fair and honest homegrown business. Having them do it mean no smelly backyard. [​IMG]

10. geebs

geebs Lovin' the Lowriders!

Sep 28, 2008
    Nice film... makes ya wanna work with a family like that!.. Thanks for posting!!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by