This Is Pasty Butt Right?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by LanceTN, Oct 19, 2014.

1. LanceTN

LanceTN Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2014
    One of my four week olds appears to have pasty butt. I've cleaned around his vent and have witnessed three bowel movements now but her vent still seems really swollen. How long until it recovers? Is there another issue with it I'm not noticing?

[​IMG]

2. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    I don't know about the bulge, could it be irritation? I usually snip the dirty feathers off and put a bit of oil on the rest to make the dirt slide right off.

3. LanceTN

Aug 31, 2014
    I've been doing more reading and apparently it's Vent Gleet.

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Actually it looks more like a prolapsed vent perhaps from chronic constipation. I would clean her off, and rub some honey or Preparation H ointment inside and outside the vent tissue, and try to push the prolapse back inside. If there is poo stuck try cleaning it off with warm water. Some use a QTip with a little olive oil on it to moisten the vent for chicks that are always constipated. I would use some probiotics for chickens such as Probios Dispersible Powder in her water (also good for the others) every 2 or 3 days. If you have molasses, I would give her a drop mixed in a teaspoon of water on her food. This can give diarrhea, so don't repeat this, and it may take a day before it works. Hopefully this helps, and there are many threads here on BYC to search on "constipated chick" at the top of the page.

Dark Karo syrup contains some molasses, too.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  5. seminolewind

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    4 week old chicks can get vent gleet?

6. LanceTN

Aug 31, 2014
    I don't know?

I could be wrong. I'm far from an expert on chicken butts

7. LanceTN

Aug 31, 2014
    It's just caused by an imbalance of good and bad bacteria. So I don't see why a young chicken can't get it

8. seminolewind

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    [​IMG]

Darn, I was hoping someone on here was a chicken butt expert!
    I think your main problem there is the enlarged vent. I hope you can do something about that.

9. LanceTN

Aug 31, 2014
    Yeah I am not sure what to do. I cleaned the vent as she seemed constipated and I've since witnessed three poops.

So I'm going to continue to monitor and give her and the rest of the flock pro biotics.

10. seminolewind

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Sounds like a good plan. Someone mentioned Prep H. I wonder if that would help? I know models use it when they get bags under their eyes, LOL

Pam spray may help keep the poo from sticking.

Maybe make her some wet mash with the chick feed. Chicks love it and being wet may help her move it along.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2014
    1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by