This is probably a REALLY dumb question.....

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by JennH07, Feb 10, 2011.

1. JennH07

JennH07 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2010
    Hastings, MI
    I have chickens and this is my first time with chickens, but have never had ducks. So, here goes, is the care of ducks the same no matter what breed? I am thinking of getting 3 fawn runner ducks in the spring, but I can only find general info on caring for ducks. And how should they be introduced to the chickens?, they will all be free-ranging together this summer.

2. secretquail

secretquail Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2010
    Chapel Hill
    I'll just start off the answers... Mostly the duck care is pretty standard. If you get bantams, you have to change things a bit b/c they can fly, as do muscovies. Otherwise, a duck is a duck. They all like to swim, eat peas, poo, and destroy gardens. Have fun!

3. JennH07

May 1, 2010
    Hastings, MI
    Thanks!!!! Sounds like a blast! My daughter will be thrilled, she has been bugging me non stop for ducks. LOL:D

4. AdamD77

AdamD77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2010
    Bedfordshire, England
    Not a dumb question [​IMG] The main things that differ within the breeds are:

-Size and shape - this will have an effect on their housing and pen. Runners are relatively big - even though they are skinny they are very tall. They like to run around and forage, so providing them with a relatively large area would do them good.

-Flight ability - as previously mentioned, the smaller breeds (such as calls) as well as muscovies can fly and will need to be clipped or fully contained. If you're thinking of runners then in general they can't sustain flight for long and can't get very high so clipping isn't needed.

-Broodiness - some breeds such as Muscovies are good mothers and will regularly lay in a certain spot, so providing a nest area can be particularly useful, whereas others such as runners are not well-known for being broody and will lay in random spots whenever they get the urge to produce an egg.

Of course there is always variation and you'll learn from the ducks when you get them what they need. You may have one that is really good at flying and will need a high fence to contain it, even though they generally aren't good fliers, or you may get one that is great at hatching eggs and raising ducklings and you'll therefore want to provide it with a nice nestbox. Just get to know them and you'll figure it out [​IMG]

5. veronicasmom

veronicasmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2009
    I've had a few Runners. And Blue Swedish and a Pekin and and two mutts. The Runners are by far the most nervous and flighty. And, boy, the girls I have and have had are/were NOISY. Love them though, they are fun and funny. I did not get them as ducklings, however, so maybe that would make a difference. Good luck and have fun!

6. JennH07

May 1, 2010
    Hastings, MI
    Thanks so much Everyone!![​IMG]

7. HamandLily

HamandLily Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2011
    England, UK
    Just thought I'd add - runners usually aren't that interested in swimming so they will not need a huge pond.

Also the height and amount of space needed in an eclosure varies between breeds, and of course, the food intake!

8. gofasterstripe

gofasterstripe Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I cant keep my runners OUT the pool, they LOVE to swim

9. HamandLily

HamandLily Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2011
    England, UK
    Quote:I cant keep my runners OUT the pool, they LOVE to swim

Haha cool, I suppose they'll all differnt, just voicing my experiences [​IMG]

10. DuckyMom

DuckyMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2010
    Upstate NY
    I get excited whenever anyone says theyre getting runners! My babies are both working on becoming therapy pets. not flighty at all! they come rushing up quacking and waggling their tail feathers whenever they see us! they want nothing more than to snuggle and pull on your shoe laces! [​IMG]
    Emily

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by