This is probably a stupid (newbie) question...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by DHcallsmeChickenCrazy, Jul 13, 2011.

1. DHcallsmeChickenCrazy

DHcallsmeChickenCrazy Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2011
    When do they start sleeping on their roosts? Mine are 9-10 weeks old and love to get on their roosts and hang out. But, if I go out in the middle of the night to check on them, they're all piled up together in the corner on the floor...and we're having 80+ degree nights here...that can't be comfortable.

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Not a stupid question. It's discussed a lot on this forum. The answer is, it varies a lot. My last batch started roosting around 6 weeks. More normal for me is 10 to 12 weeks. Some people report it is even earlier or longer for them. There is no set age. They start to roost when they start. Usually one or two will try it, then within a night or two, they are all roosting.

Don't worry about them sleeping on the floor. They enjoy each others company.

3. dufus

dufus Out Of The Brooder

Jul 12, 2011
    i started out with 18 pullets that were approx. 2-3 months old. i had just built a spiffy new hen house, and put pine and wheat straw on the ground, in the fenced yard and the enclosed area. the first few nights, mine also grouped up on the ground, in a bundle. i waited until it was dark, and picked them up 2-3 at a time, and put them on the roost. after 3-4 days, they caught on, and hopped up there. i put an upside down milk crate in front of the roost, as the first slat was about 24''-30'' off the ground. they would hop on the milk crate and jump right on the roost, climbing the slats to the top. i put 5 slats at the top, approx. 2'' apart, so they could squat at night if desired, and the poop would fall clear.i ripped treated 2x4's for slats, i remember clear as a bell, grandpaw used elm or oak saplings about 1''-2'' around.

4. zookeeper15133

zookeeper15133 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2010
    SW PA
    My silkie chick, raised by a cochin was roosting at about 2 weeks. Some of my adult silkies still sleep on the floor.

5. DHcallsmeChickenCrazy

DHcallsmeChickenCrazy Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2011
    thanks for the replies! they're just the cutest things up on their roosts, and they mostly like to get up there right at dusk...so you would think that's where they would be staying for the night. i guess they're still a little young...they've been together since the brooder, so maybe they feel more secure all piled up together. sweet.

6. lorain's fids

lorain's fids Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2011
    New Jersey
    We just put a mini roost in the crate last night. My girls are 2 wks old- 2 immediately went up on it, when I checked on them early this morning 1 was sleeping on it, but on the side where the wood is square. So Actually what kind of roost do they need-- round like a bird perch or square where there whole foot fits on it?[​IMG]

7. BoltonChicken

BoltonChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    Bolton, Mississippi
    what kind of roost do they need-- round like a bird perch or square where there whole foot fits on it?

There are a whole lot of different thoughts on this one. In colder climes people use 2 x 4's turned flat side up. It is said that this prevents frostbite to the foot. In warmer areas the 2 x 4 is turned edge side up. Some use rounded wood or even tree branches. Just about anything will work since they tend to perch on whatever is there.​

8. dancingsquirrel

dancingsquirrel Out Of The Brooder

Quote:Whew! So I'm not crazy afterall! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by