This is really imbarrassing...rooster was attacked by fox need help

bruff1

Hatching
Mar 25, 2022
So please no judgement! At midnight I heard my flock going crazy. I looked out the window and could see the beety eyes of a fox. So I shouted at him and ran downstairs out in the dark to protect my flock. Apparently the fox got under the fence of the pen. I have since fixed it the best I could. My husband will be home today to secure it better and I locked my chickens in their coops at night. I dont typically shut the door to the actual coop but I am now. Anyhow I had to wake up my daughter to come help. My rooster was laying lifeless. I picked him up and there was no movement. I had no idea what to do at midnight with my rooster, because I did not want to give the fox the reward of my dead rooster so I put him in the empty trash can with lid of course, to wait for my husband to get home this weekend to bury him.

Yesterday I was out in the workshop and heard this noise. I walked out and it was coming from the trash can. I went and looked and sure enough that rooster was breathing and eyes were open. I lifted him out of the trashcan. He had blood around his neck so I figured the fox broke his neck. However it appears to be superficial wounds. I put some hay in the back of the polaris and layed him in there with a blanket over him. Every once in a while I will find him in another spot. But he is lifeless like. I am going to get some electrolites but how do I administer them without waterboarding him. Is it safe to give to him in this state? I dont see any serious injuries other than some dried blood, I do know that he did not bleed much because I didnt get any on me when I carried him to the trashcan. Any help would be appreciated, I really want to save him. He was a bastard rooster to us, but a very good protector of my flock.

As always, videos and pictures would help in this situation, but it really sounds like he should be euthanized. If he is 'lifeless' I.e. not moving, just laying and periodically flapping around into a different position, he is suffering terribly.

If you can dip his beak into sugar water or electrolytes, Gatorade let him drink on his own. Tube or crop feeding is possible as well. Get him warmed up inside if possible. A dog crate or basket would be good.

Although I've never dealt with a chicken in this state I've helped other injured/shocked birds that needed fluids and I would be inclined to try to get him to drink given that he's moving when you're not watching. If he's basically playing dead when you're around and won't take water on his own, try using a small pipette, dropper, or syringe to put a drop on the side of his mouth (on the edge, not shoved inside the mouth); that will sometimes prompt drinking even birds that are just sitting there limp. If he doesn't take liquids that way it's also such a small amount at a time that it's easy to soak up with a tissue so he doesn't breath it.

As always, videos and pictures would help in this situation, but it really sounds like he should be euthanized. If he is 'lifeless' I.e. not moving, just laying and periodically flapping around into a different position, he is suffering terribly.
Thats what I was thinking also. I went out there and his eyes were opened and he was lifting his head. He somehow took the blanket off him. His breathing is so normal thats whats really weird. Thanks for you reply

Although I've never dealt with a chicken in this state I've helped other injured/shocked birds that needed fluids and I would be inclined to try to get him to drink given that he's moving when you're not watching. If he's basically playing dead when you're around and won't take water on his own, try using a small pipette, dropper, or syringe to put a drop on the side of his mouth (on the edge, not shoved inside the mouth); that will sometimes prompt drinking even birds that are just sitting there limp. If he doesn't take liquids that way it's also such a small amount at a time that it's easy to soak up with a tissue so he doesn't breath it.
Ok great I will try that. I have had others tell me he will be fine just give him a few days. I am hoping.

If you can dip his beak into sugar water or electrolytes, Gatorade let him drink on his own. Tube or crop feeding is possible as well. Get him warmed up inside if possible. A dog crate or basket would be good.
Ok do you know if he can do a small amt of pickle juice for electrolytes. Thank you

Back
Top Bottom