This is sad

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by CherishHolland, Aug 28, 2013.

1. CherishHolland

CherishHolland Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2013
    Canyon Texas
    So almost a month ago I bought some eggs off ebay, the eggs arrived the seller shipped 12 out of the 12,2 had microscopic cracks from being old and were leaking so I tossed them let the eggs settle for a few days then popped them into the bator well when it was time to candle 3 were unfertilized out they go so I am now at 7eggs well a week passes and there is the tale tale sign of a stinker in the mix well it turned out to be 2 stinkers so out they went now I am down to 5 eggs and on the second week of incubation candled again had 2 blood rings so out those go so I am down to 3 eggs and then comes the tale tale sign of another stinker so out go 1 more egg which left me down to 2 well when I candled before lock down ,today, one of the two eggs was dead now I have one lonesome egg in the bator and around here everyone has stopped selling chicks. Fingers crossed that my one lonesome sultan egg will hatch. I did contact the buyer and let him know that he did send me some old eggs which he fessed up to doing so but isn't willing to correct the issue,I am chalking it up to lesson learned and will be only buying my eggs from some of you all off the auction thread next year but I am so sad that if the egg does hatch /she will be a solo chick my youngest chicks are 3 weeks almost 4 weeks old. Thing is this go round the bator held perfect temp and humidity and it would have been a wonderful hatch if my eggs weren't such crap.

2. Sphinx

Sphinx Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    Utah
    Shipped eggs are always a huge gamble, even if they are new, shipped perfectly, wrapped perfectly. I've heard you should only plan on about a 20-30% hatch rate on shipped eggs.

I'm sorry you had such a rotten incubation. When is the remaining chick due to hatch? It's too bad you're not near me- I hatched 3 fbcm yesterday (with two more coming today) under my broody. I'm sure she wouldn't have minded an extra chick.

3. Beaky Buzzard

Beaky Buzzard Chillin' With My Peeps

That stinks.....hope the last one hatches....

4. CherishHolland

CherishHolland Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2013
    Canyon Texas
    The remaining egg is due to hatch Saturday I guess I can brood it and just put a mirror in the brooder box and a feather duster for a temp.mommy. My eggs before these came from NH and I had 8 out of 12 hatch . Either way this is the probably the last hatch of the season for me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by