This is so cool, Emus!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by revelu, Jan 23, 2009.

1. revelu

revelu Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2008
    Midland, MI
    I have 2 Emu eggs in the incubator and at least one of them is definitely rocking and I can hear the baby pecking at the shell-- so excited and nervous I'm not sure what to do-- the eggs are in an r-com 20 right now but I will have to move them into a makeshift cardboard box hatcher/brooder-- I think that will wait til the shell is pipped-- January 26 is pencilled in as the target hatch date so it will be any time now-- if I'm thinking clearly the camera will be ready!
    wish us lots of luck!!! these eggs went through a power failure at the beginning of the month so it was touch and go to see if either of them survived-- we got a generator hooked up but didn't know the power was off til we woke up in the morning--- keep fingers, toes, legs and eyes crossed for us!!
    Vicki in Michigan

2. kandyg_99

kandyg_99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2008
    Colorado
    EMU'S WOW !!! Keep us updated, and when they hatch I would love to see pics

3. sandspoultry

sandspoultry Everybody loves a Turkey

Feb 10, 2008
    Eastern NC
    keep us updated.... or should I say enabled. I have been thinking of getting some for a couple years now. lol

Steve in NC

4. revelu

revelu Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2008
    Midland, MI
    I got these eggs from ebay as an experiment, but my next eggs, as soon as these hatch-- will be from my neighbor across the street who raises rheas and emus-- at a great neighborly price! ;0)

5. ChanceRider

ChanceRider Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    Somerset, CA
    That's exciting! Especially when you can see movement in the eggs and hear the chicks.

My male, Enoch, began sitting on his nest on 12/29 so I have a way to go before we see if we have chicks this year.

Keep us updated... and pics, lots of pics! Emu chicks are SO cute!

6. ntiveheart

ntiveheart Chillin' With My Peeps

oh! very cool! i just received 4 eggs (3 intact, 1 scrambled) this will be my first attemt at emus. i'm throwing myself on your mercy.......how about sharing your experience so this total novice won't mess up too badly!

7. Hen House 60

Hen House 60 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 9, 2009
    WOW!!! Thats awesome!! I am sooooo happy for you and your Emu's. I didn't know we could put those in the bator. There were some here locally on Craigslist, may have to give it a try after I see your pics.

GOOD LUCK!!!!

8. Cowboy Joe

Cowboy Joe Out Of The Brooder

Jan 20, 2009
    Western NY
    Quote:Hope it's a big box! They grow really fast! Best of luck. The Emu I had were a hoot.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by