This is SO cute!!! Guinea hatched out a chicken this morning!

BritinMO

Songster
8 Years
Apr 18, 2011
My latest batch of guinea eggs are not due to hatch for another 10 days or so.......so I was VERY surprised to see a broken egg shell out of the nest this morning! Moved the hen slightly and a chick appeared from under her - A GINGER CHICK! After I picked myself off the floor dying with laughter
lau.gif
I grabbed the chick. I guess one of our Rhode Island Red girls popped an egg out in the guinea nest before the guinea hen started sitting 3 weeks ago!

I've never hatched any chickens before as never had a broody hen.......I'm amazed!

Yes! Our chickens and guineas all free range and share the coop at night and live in peace and harmony
wee.gif
, its totally brilliant - still so excited that a guinea hatched out a chicken, lol. The chick will be raised inside as its the only one, just setting up its nursery in the house (hubby is away working in Europe) - haha..................
jumpy.gif

Why not let the guinea raise the chick?
Because the guinea is still sat on her nest in a horse stall in the barn, her eggs are not due to hatch until at the earliest next week-end! The chicken chick needs warmth and food and a safe place to be......besides all of that - we never let our guineas raise their chicks, we catch them as soon as they hatch, and raise them in safety, lol!

Back
Top Bottom