This is SO cute!!! Guinea hatched out a chicken this morning!

Discussion in 'Guinea Fowl' started by BritinMO, Sep 15, 2012.

1. BritinMO

BritinMO Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2011
    My latest batch of guinea eggs are not due to hatch for another 10 days or so.......so I was VERY surprised to see a broken egg shell out of the nest this morning! Moved the hen slightly and a chick appeared from under her - A GINGER CHICK! After I picked myself off the floor dying with laughter [​IMG] I grabbed the chick. I guess one of our Rhode Island Red girls popped an egg out in the guinea nest before the guinea hen started sitting 3 weeks ago!

I've never hatched any chickens before as never had a broody hen.......I'm amazed!

[​IMG]

2. Mykee

Mykee Chillin' With My Peeps

That is so cute and funny! Do your guineas and chickens live together?

3. BritinMO

Apr 18, 2011
    Yes! Our chickens and guineas all free range and share the coop at night and live in peace and harmony [​IMG], its totally brilliant - still so excited that a guinea hatched out a chicken, lol. The chick will be raised inside as its the only one, just setting up its nursery in the house (hubby is away working in Europe) - haha..................[​IMG]

4. Mykee

Why not let the guinea raise the chick?

5. BritinMO

Apr 18, 2011
    Because the guinea is still sat on her nest in a horse stall in the barn, her eggs are not due to hatch until at the earliest next week-end! The chicken chick needs warmth and food and a safe place to be......besides all of that - we never let our guineas raise their chicks, we catch them as soon as they hatch, and raise them in safety, lol!

6. Mykee

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by