This is SO hard.....

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by drdoolittle, Jan 20, 2011.

1. drdoolittle

drdoolittle Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2010
    NE Indiana
    Well, I had made the decision to sell some of my chickens as well as all my ducks and my 2 geese partly to reduce expenses, and also to make caring for my birds easier, but also to focus on only one or 2 breeds of chickens. I put an ad on CL, and someone answered who wants to buy all the birds! I know I should be happy, but there is always a little sadness when selling my birds. I guess I just attribute human traits to my birds, and I get too attached. I will miss the silly antics of my geese and ducks, and even the "bad" roo who tried to overthrow the "king" will be missed. I just try to keep focused on the benefits to the birds I am keeping (more room in the coop, bigger shares of the treats, and food, not getting attacked by the "bad" roo). I do keep waivering between telling the man that my husband sold the birds to someone else w/o telling me, but I know I would regret it later. Pray for my strength-----it's just so hard!

2. K9Carrie

K9Carrie Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2010
    Lodi, California
    Sending you hugs from California [​IMG] [​IMG], I can only imagine how hard this is for you. You will feel better once you can concentrate more on your selected few and know you are doing the right thing...I am sure someone is going to be very happy to add your loved ones to their family! Take care, Carrie

3. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    It is really hard to let go sometimes. It sounds like it will be better in the long run. I hope they go to a nice place. Maybe after they leave you can have a party with treats for the ones you keep. Maybe have a party with treats for everyone now, too. [​IMG]

4. tazcat70

tazcat70 I must be crazy!

Yes it is hard. I still think about some that I have had to get rid of in the past.

5. drdoolittle

Jul 30, 2010
    NE Indiana
    Thank you all for your words of kindness. I know what I have to do, it's just good to get it out here where I know there are people who understand how I feel. I have close friends at work, but they really don't get my love of poultry-----some even think I'm weird because I said I sometimes love to just stand and watch the way my chickens move. [​IMG]

6. K9Carrie

K9Carrie Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2010
    Lodi, California
    Aww, you are not alone in your chicken watching!! I call it my "All Chicken Channel" better than anything on TV !![​IMG]

7. drdoolittle

Jul 30, 2010
    NE Indiana
    Thanks, this is why I love BYC!

8. new chick 203

new chick 203 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2010
    Ridgefield CT
    Ya, we get you. I know some people think it's just odd that I took one of my girls to the vet.

9. drdoolittle

Jul 30, 2010
    NE Indiana
    I think I need to stay off BYC until they're gone. I was just reading the post "Which would you Choose, ducks or chickens?", and it's making me miss my babies already. [​IMG] I didn't get the geese a goslings, but my toulouse was still very young and so, so clumsy! The ducks I got at a day old, and although they aren't as friendly as some, they do all have their own personalities. I've decided that if that guy doesn't call this weekend to come and get them, then I am meant to keep them. If he does call, I will let them go, and maybe in the future I can have some again. [​IMG]

10. draye

draye Overrun With Chickens

Nov 30, 2010
    Arkansas
    I've thought about selling offf some of mine for the winter, but I won't because I have each one that I have is because they are they ones that I want. I actually went and added 7 Golden Lakenvelder hen and 1 rooster to go with them (he is also a Golden Lakenvelder).

This is not because they are (pets) or anything like that, it's just I've spent the time collecting them and I want to get babies off them before I try to part with any of them.

But I do have about 8 buff hens (I call them Buff's) they were suppose to be Buff Orpingtons but they were nothing except for two or three like Buff Orpingtons. They are almost the size of Buff Minorca's except they have red earlobes instead of white, so I [​IMG] what they are. These I would sell if someone were to come along and want some hens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by