This is so much fun - most of the time

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by mummyandchicks, Dec 4, 2013.

1. mummyandchicks

mummyandchicks Out Of The Brooder

Nov 22, 2013
    I have had chickens for all of 2 1/2 weeks now. We got some for lots of reasons but a main reason was our 7 and 5 year old would enjoy them. As would I. We have 12 bantam partridge wyandottes. They are 2 1/2 weeks old and getting so big. I think I can start picking out hens (browny combs) from roosters (red combs).

The chicks are great. We lost one a week go - just wasn't thriving. My 7 year old was ever so upset. The vet put her to sleep thankfully.

The plan is to keep 5 hens and rehome the others. Hopefully not homes that will put them in the soup pot.

The chicks love going outside in to their run during the day and inside at night. Canberra, Australia is beautiful and warm with summer having just started. I have a premade coop and run.It's okay. I did sand in the brooder,coop and run. It's great.

BYC has been so helpful - lots of advice and tips -two members gave me help with my sick chick too.

Anyway, I'm really enjoying my new little family members and looking forward to seeing them grow -and lay some eggs as they have a long long return on investment!

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Sounds like you have the makings of a fun little flock, partridge is such a pretty color. Your kids should really enjoy the chickens when they get older, especially the bantam eggs that are just kid sized. Hope you have lots of girls in your chicks.

3. mummyandchicks

mummyandchicks Out Of The Brooder

Nov 22, 2013
    Thanks Kelsie. They are pretty cute. I think we have about 4 hens maybe 6.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by