This is so NOT funny!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by gritsar, Jan 17, 2011.

1. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I bought another nestbox for the baby coop last night. Because I have two broodies in there, one hogging the favored nestbox, another box was a necessity.
    I was just out checking on things in that coop and my heart stopped when I saw Ellie Mae, one of my two silkies, laid flat out in a nestbox. I thought she was dead! [​IMG]
    Got down on my hands and knees and touched her gently, calling her name. She's not dead.

She's broody. [​IMG]

Gonna stop buying nestboxes. I think it causes broodiness. [​IMG]

2. moonlyghtegirl

moonlyghtegirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2009
    I'll be glad to take her off your hands. I have 18 hens, and none of them are a bleeding bit broody, even the broody strains I have aren't in the least bit interested...[​IMG]

3. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    Wasn't there a time when you were hoping for a broody? Be careful what you wish for! [​IMG]

4. pawprint2104

pawprint2104 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2010
    SF Bay Area
    Ummmm, yes it is funny. [​IMG] Got me giggling in my coffee. And, few things make me giggle in the morning. Good job and thank you!

5. Scoop

Scoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2009
    Central PA
    [​IMG]

6. 3goodeggs

3goodeggs pays attention sporadically

May 22, 2009
    North Central Florida
    Quote:I do believe you were broody challenged. And, in a way, you still are. [​IMG]
    I had 12 out of 24 (at one time) broody last spring. I had cardboard boxes to take the over flow.

hormones, humph.
    it'll be alright, but what are you going to do with that new incubator you've got? It seems superfluous now.

7. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:I do believe you were broody challenged. And, in a way, you still are. [​IMG]
    I had 12 out of 24 (at one time) broody last spring. I had cardboard boxes to take the over flow.

hormones, humph.
    it'll be alright, but what are you going to do with that new incubator you've got? It seems superfluous now.

No, I've got eggs in it too!! [​IMG]

8. NellaBean

NellaBean Graceland Farms

Mar 4, 2009
    Broodyland, TN
    My Coop
    Quote:Shoot, I thought you didn't want a broody? C'mon back and I'll sell you a trio of my "older" white leghorn/giant girls. Every single darn one went broody last year. ALL OF THEM. And when they aren't broody, they lay like MACHINES.

9. andythescot

andythescot Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2009
    Central Mass
    I'm sure you have stuff lying around your house that could be used as nest boxes... So stop letting those crafty nest box salesmen swindle you!!
    5 Gallon buckets, old wooden boxes, milk crates, etc.
    For my coop we used two old apple crates from an orchard up the street. They are rather charming, and the girls like them [​IMG]

10. BooBear

BooBear Chicken Cuddler

Oct 7, 2010
    Conroe, Texas
    Lots o' giggles. [​IMG]
    Congrats on your newest moma hen to be. Looks like you will be overrun by fuzzies this spring. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by