This is so sad and so preventable - SUV/Train wreck

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Steve_of_sandspoultry, Dec 10, 2009.

1. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Steve_of_sandspoultry Overrun With Chickens

I caught this on the morning news

http://www.wral.com/news/local/story/6585125/

This is sooooooooo sad and shouldn't have happened at all. I cross 2 railroad crossings on the way to work and I noticed each one had the same warning sign "DON"T STOP ON THE TRACKS"

Steve in NC

2. Orpstralope

Orpstralope XL College Raised Eggs

Oct 11, 2009
    Boone
    Wow, no bueno. I feel sorry for the family of those people. [​IMG]

3. Amyable

Amyable Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Greenleaf, WI
    That is very sad. I'm a little confused as to how the mom couldn't get off the tracks. The story said the RR arms came down and traffic was blocking her in; but if that were me and a train was bearing down on me and my child, nothing would stop me from ramming every car in my way to get off those tracks. Those poor kids [​IMG]

4. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Steve_of_sandspoultry Overrun With Chickens

Quote:I thought the same thing - I would have gotten off the tracks one way or another

Steve

5. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Quote:Ditto, and I will ruin a windshield when I need to get OUT of the situation. If the car stalls ON the tracks, you bet I would be yanking those kids out of the seats so fast they would not know what made them fly again! Get the kids OUT fast even you have to throw them out of the harm's way (except for babies and toddlers) if you have more than ONE kid. Let the SUV go, it can be replaced.

6. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    I don't understand why you would stop on the railroad tracks at all. It's like stopping in the middle of an intersection. If the traffic is backed up, you still wait until the tracks are clear before you pull over them. [​IMG]

Those poor little kids.

7. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    I've seen people stop on tracks too many times. We lost 4 soldiers on a crossing because they wouldn't get out and leave the government vehicle there. When trapped, open doors and run.

8. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    WoW, did they think their gov't vehicle was going to WIN against a train?! That is so sad. [​IMG]

My parents had a friend who was a train conductor. He said they always knew when someone was going to try to beat the train. He would go ahead and start the shut down process and would lay on the brakes. Unfortunately, it takes miles to stop a moving train and there would be nothing they could do about it. It always made him emotional to talk about the times they had hit cars. Sad for everyone involved.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by