This is so strange. Did anyone else have this happen today?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Bunny Babe, Aug 22, 2010.

1. Bunny Babe

Bunny Babe Out Of The Brooder

Feb 28, 2008
    Rome, GA
    I have 2 Barred Rock Hens. They are spoiled healthy girls. These are the only hens I have in this pen. They both have been laying well all summer ....even on these very hot days. They have a shady large pen on the ground. I have been getting an egg each almost daily. The last 3 days ... no eggs from either hen. We are short on eggs to eat ... so we have been watching their nest closely for them to lay. We checked the nest this morning at 10 am ... no eggs. Both hens lay in the same nest. I went to feed them at 6pm and check the nest. There was 4 eggs ! Remember .. I only have 2 hens in this pen.

This is strange .... both stopped laying for three days ... and both evidently laid 2 eggs each today. This is all that could have happened because I have been checking their nesting box diligently.

Could it be the movements of our planets have had something to do with this today? ..... I read some astrology at the beginning of August and it said the planets were going to be in positions this month we have not seen before ... as a result ... it was going to be a difficult month for many (and we have certainly found that to be true here for us and other families we know). I wonder if the way the universe is changing this month could have something to do with my hens laying two eggs today.

Has anyone else noted their chickens doing this recently or today. And even more strange .. it happened to two different hen in the same coop . .... because I know one hen did not lay 3 and one lay 1 egg ...

P.S. ... regarding the planet thing ... did you know we will see two moons on Friday night ? We are planning a cook out at a friend's home ... we plan to sit outdoors for the evening and watch this event. [​IMG]

2. Plucky Pullet

Plucky Pullet Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2010
    I am new to chicken owning and am still at a stage where I am waiting to find out if my chicken is a girl or boy..
    I am more curious about the 2 moon thing? how and what are we really seeing since we all know Earth only has 1 moon...

3. leslierf

leslierf Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2010
    Tucson area
    I got three eggs yesterday from two chickens, 1 green and two cream colored.

By the way, the two moon thing is a hoax. Mars will be very close Friday, but It will not be close enough to look like an extra moon. I was getting excited about the two moon thing too! Darn Hoaxers.

4. featherbaby

featherbaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL 32210
    IT'S THE HEAT, FOLKS!!!! Chickens slow down their laying when it's hot summertime. They pick up again in the fall.

5. GAchick

GAchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2009
    Pembroke GA
    Supposedly Mars will be so close it looks like two moons..... I doubt Mars could ever look close to Moon- sized, but I did see a very bright planet in the sky last Thursday. I never bothered to find out which planet it was, though..

6. CubRed

CubRed Out Of The Brooder

Jan 21, 2010
    does this astrological event coming mean I have to endure another repeat of the standing brooms...[​IMG]

7. mxitman

mxitman Out Of The Brooder

Hmm I suspected one of mine might have done the same thing, we have 4 chickens and I check the nesting box a couple times a day. About 2 weeks ago I had 5 eggs and I was sure I checked the night before.

8. sunflowerenvy

sunflowerenvy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2010
    south/west tn
    Quote:10 am ... no eggs. Both hens lay in the same nest. I went to feed them at 6pm and check the nest. There was 4 eggs ! Remember .. I only have 2 hens in this pen.
    you took my eggs from me today no eggs at all should have got 2 eggs for sure sometime i get a brown egg still waiting to see my second green egg [​IMG]

9. PineappleMama

PineappleMama Chillin' With My Peeps

One source said it takes 23-30 hours for an egg to happen...

If you checked at 7am every morning... they could lay at 7:15 Saturday (you wouldn't notice unless you checked again later) and then they lay again as early as 5:15 on Sunday... and you find 2 eggs...

Leastways that's what I think happens when I get more eggs than I was expecting... but the most I've gotten is four... and I do have four girls... I donno whether one is a hold out... (one does have a smaller comb that's finally catching up)... or if they're alternating... most days I get three... but some days four... other days 2... it's very confuzzling.

10. tinychicky

tinychicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2010
    Hollis, New Hampshire
    come to think of it... our chickens havn't been laying much either, and one who NEVER lays, DID. *talk show voice* "among other mysterious chicken coop happenings...."

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by