This is supposed to be a Golden Comet but... looks like a male!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Chickiebaby8, Jul 18, 2010.

1. Chickiebaby8

Chickiebaby8 Songster

Apr 19, 2010
    Kentucky
    Before I knew better I took about 5 hens off of someone who I no longer trust.
    These were supposed to be hens.

There are three that look like this and are NOT laying. Not crowing either.
    Is it possible for it to be male?? If so, what breed??

[​IMG]

And I am almost certain this Australorp is a rooster. Any ideas?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Both look like hens to me

3. Chickiebaby8

Chickiebaby8 Songster

Apr 19, 2010
    Kentucky
    I wonder when they will start laying? The black one is the biggest. She/he stands tallest. It would be good if they were hens but I forgot to mention that the black one has been chasing the others around and trying to mount them.

4. Matt A NC

Matt A NC Crowing

Feb 22, 2007
    Morganton, NC
    Do you know the age of the birds?

Matt

5. Chickiebaby8

Chickiebaby8 Songster

Apr 19, 2010
    Kentucky
    Supposedly 5 to 6 months.

Like I said, I don't trust the person who sold them to me and all I can say is that I am glad they are with me, because whatever they are, they will have a better life with me than them.

I was naive and didn't know about BYC and didn't know how awful and dangerous it is to take in started birds. I do like this bunch and IF they start laying it would be great. I just have no idea when to expect it. I have a rescued chicken from a laying house who is laying, as well as another older Golden Comet. The other Comets look like roos with those big combs. The combs are turning redder and redder so I am hoping they will start laying soon.

6. Matt A NC

Matt A NC Crowing

Feb 22, 2007
    Morganton, NC
    At that age, they are ladies. I have had lots of big combed gals over the years. In fact 2 years ago I was trying to rehome 'Friendly', a young roo that I raised. Luckily I did find him a good home and at about 4 months old I realized that 'HE' was a "she". Friendly is a good layer and is still here.

Matt

7. Chickiemama1010

Chickiemama1010 Songster

Jan 16, 2010
    Sullivan
    Quote:I have aussies and golden comets. the comets are sex linked. It would be white if it was a rooster. My hens used to have combs like that, but they got frostbitten last winter and they are much smaller now (ouch) If its a comet, its a hen. My australorps though..they are 18wks, so just shy of 5 months. Theyre not laying yet. They do not have combs like that either...but my aussie roo sure does! Actually just like that. The girls have tiny little strips of combs on them that are still pretty pink. Sorry. I think hes a HE

8. Chickiebaby8

Chickiebaby8 Songster

Apr 19, 2010
    Kentucky
    Quote:I have aussies and golden comets. the comets are sex linked. It would be white if it was a rooster. My hens used to have combs like that, but they got frostbitten last winter and they are much smaller now (ouch) If its a comet, its a hen. My australorps though..they are 18wks, so just shy of 5 months. Theyre not laying yet. They do not have combs like that either...but my aussie roo sure does! Actually just like that. The girls have tiny little strips of combs on them that are still pretty pink. Sorry. I think hes a HE

Thank you!
    I should have added that the other 6 or so birds have teeny tiny combs, and this one is the biggest and has that comb. He is taller than the other ones, too. And chases them around and has just started trying to mate with the others. He hasn't started crowing yet. He is very vocal though. The girls are very sweet. They are friendly and very energetic.

The Comets are hopefully going to start laying soon. They all have had a hard time. I had to vaccinate them all for ILT and had to close my flock. They also had to be wormed.
    I don't know if that has any bearing on whether they will be delayed laying. Plus this heat is horrible. All I know is they are happier and healthier than from where they came.

9. Chickiemama1010

Chickiemama1010 Songster

Jan 16, 2010
    Sullivan
    [​IMG]
    The guy in the middle and the one in the background on the left are both cockerels. See the big red combs? this pic is just a week old or so.
    Look closely at the right side of the pic...see the little beak poking into the photo? the little pink skinny strip on the beak.... thats a pullet

I do know aussies, hens included have generally big combs. The excess roos I had just went to freezer the day before this pic. Seeing as yours are only a month+/- older than mine I just couldnt imagine my girls growing that much comb in a few weeks.. The excess roos I had just went to freezer the day before this pic. They all started crowing. It was time to thin them

Last edited: Jul 19, 2010
  10. Chickiebaby8

Chickiebaby8 Songster

Apr 19, 2010
    Kentucky
    Quote:THANK YOU! I always learn something every time I log on to this site!!!

So, if you have more than one cockerel, do you rehome them?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by