This is the COUNTRY what do they have against "poultry?"

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by nikkichikki, May 9, 2011.

1. nikkichikki

nikkichikki Out Of The Brooder

Mar 26, 2011
    Austin, TX
    ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRG. I knew this would happen, but its still depressing and annoying. I really wanted chickens for a long time, and then when I was about to get them, I found out that we had to move. Well, I wasn't sure where we were going to move, but I knew that there was a possibility that we would move somewhere where chickens wouldn't be allowed. I figured it would be better to have had chickens for a bit than never to have had any chickens at all... and now, it looks like we're moving into a subdivision that doesn't allow poultry. What the HAY!? This is the country, and the lots are HUGE, so its not like I could reach out my window and high five my neighbor or anything like that. And my girls are super quiet, and I'm really great about cleaning out their coop, it doesn't smell at all. In fact, my parents say that if you didn't KNOW we had chickens, you would never be able to tell. Why do they have to be all snooty and say no poultry? It does say domesticated pets are ok... and according to wikipedia, chickens are domesticated pets...but my mother says its a stretch. I'm thinking it is, too. [​IMG]

But anyway, I'm kinda bummed. The whole situation just sucks. I knew this would happen...all I can do is enjoy my girls until then [​IMG].

I think I might be able to give them to a friend and just visit them every day, until I figure out a loophole, or bribe the HOA with eggs or something:confused:

2. hennyannie

hennyannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    North Carolina
    I also live in the country and nobody ask if I mind them having a dog in their yard. I dont get it, what's the differance? Also I never let my chickens go over and poop in their yard.(They cant say the same) The general idea in my area is "Oh look a 100 acre farm right next to our neighborhood, I bet they like dogs and wont mind if ours have free run of the place." Sorry I have to vent sometimes when I hear that things arent allowed on property that people bought and payed for with their own money.

3. Sierra pachie bars

Sierra pachie bars Queen of the Lost

Nov 8, 2008
    Oh I agree. Dogs bark all day, chickens are way more quiet. I don't get it. A pet is a pet. Chicken, dog, cat, rabbit. Etc. I know many who are chicken outlaws. Bribe with eggs.

4. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

subdivision=country??????

5. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

You could get seramas and keep them inside in a cage. [​IMG]

But that wouldn't be satisfying to me...and probably not you.

I love to see chickens run around outside in the sun.

I am so sorry you are having to go through this.

One day, when you are out on your own..... [​IMG]

6. mulewagon

mulewagon Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2010
    Alabama
    Quote:Really, most of the "country" these days looks like suburbs with very big yards. We're lucky, our subdivision was established as "farmettes", and we're on the very end bit, in the woods. But you have to go a long way to find places where everybody can't see their neighbors!

7. Ferrret

Ferrret Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    Michigan
    Quote:There are a few areas where subdivisions border on farm land and the yards can be quite large, sometimes enough to make it look almost rural (almost, but not quite).

I live in a subdivision and when we first looked at the laws we thought chickens were not allowed. On closer inspection, the laws only applied to homes within city limits, and the subdivision is outside the city. We checked the township laws, saw that chickens were permitted with rules that we adhered to and so far no neighbors have said much about it. One neighbor's brother did stop and talk to BF about the silkies.
    Yards here are fenced in so there usually isn't a problem with neighbor dogs, although there is a friendly male cat that's been marking the house [​IMG] that we're sure belongs to someone around here. We also have a fair share of other problem critters, but they aren't peoples pets.

The most you can do about people being stubborn about chickens is to educate them about the birds and dispel misinformation. We all know there are people that don't know eggs come from a chicken butt. [​IMG]

8. ChicksterJo

ChicksterJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2011
    Grounded on Earth
    I'd never move to a place with an HOA. They tell you what to do with your own property that you are paying for, and not only that but you are paying the HOA too.
    Good luck with this!

9. PineappleMama

PineappleMama Chillin' With My Peeps

If the HOA was dumb enough to specify domesticated as the only rule regarding pets... didn't specifically limit it to certain species that were allowed (canine, feline)... or mention specific ones that are not (ferrets, fowl, etc) then I'd say you've got a valid argument. I wouldn't try it with a cow, though they are domesticated, but a few (maybe four like in my town which is NOT country at all) might squeak by on that premise. Four gives our family of four PLENTY of eggs... even enough to give some to my In Laws. So while I'd love to have a bigger flock, a rainbow basket, and so on I can live with my city's limit.

I'd figure it's worth a shot if you've already got the birds, feed, coop and all that could be moved. If it turns out they pitch a fit THEN you can get rid of them, but I see no point in doing so unless you are forced to.

10. sonally

sonally Out Of The Brooder

Right to Farm By-law.
    This is the gem that makes living in my town wonderful! I have less than one acre, I can see in my neighbor's windows (tee hee!), but we are considered "rural".
    Our little town has a By-law that allows farming and states that the sounds, odors, dust, ect that may result from farming to be worth it for the benefit of the farming activity to the community!
    Yippee! The folks at the Town office did mention that folks with Roosters do have some nuisance reports filed against them.... but usually does not result in any action.
    My first time chicky babies arrive in three days!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by