This is the rooster I asked about several weeks ago

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by brennacat, Aug 17, 2014.

1. brennacat

brennacat Out Of The Brooder

Jun 21, 2014
    I bought Evan from Tractor Supply and he was labelled as a Bantam Cochin.

As you can see he is a bantam and has feathered feet but is not a Cochin. Also I originally thought his comb was a strawberry but it is getting bigger each week. Is this actually a walnut comb?

I love that he and the Silkie roo are great friends and "rule" the roost in harmony. They do not fight one another and they are the top roos .. my Brahma male knows they are top dog and my Salmon Faverolle male (he's only 12 weeks old and has been crowing for 2 weeks) stays away from them.
    [​IMG]

2. brennacat

Jun 21, 2014
    [​IMG]

This may be a better shot o the comb

3. brennacat

Jun 21, 2014
    [​IMG]
    This is my silkie Ivan ... Evan's best friend.

4. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    My best guess would be that he's a Silkie mix. The comb appears to either be a poor rose comb or a walnut comb.

5. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    I agree, he's a silkie mix (comb and a small crest and I think I see 5 toes). I wonder if he is mixed with a rose comb bantam to make his ear lobe white instead of blue.

6. brennacat

Jun 21, 2014
    He does have 5 toes.

The white earlobes like his comb seem to be growing faster than the rest of him. He is such a funny guy and thinks he is the biggest roo out there.

I originally bought him from Tractor Supply because he was trying to keep other chicks from attacking the silkie after another silkie blooded him at @ 3 days old.

If anyone picked on the silkie he would come rushing up and jump them. LOL and they told me he was most likely a frizzzle cochin bantam,

ROFL how wrong could they be?

7. Wishapup

Wishapup Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2013
    Canada
    Rosecomb x Silkie is my guess as well. Even his body type seems to indicate Rosecomb Bantam and not Cochin cross. He's very pretty!

8. brennacat

Jun 21, 2014
    Thanks. The pictures do not do him justice. He has lots o turquoise and purple shimmers throughout his feathers. :( Just wanted to cry when he crowed though. I called him Ebony and the silkie Ivory for a long time then one morning he cocked his head to the side and bellowed out his first crow. He has not stopped since. He crows for any reason - he wants attention, there is a storm, a hen is getting ready to lay .... lol you get the idea.

So he became Evan and I still hoped the silkie was a hen but about 4 weeks later he too crowed and became Ivan.

9. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Looks like a Black Rosecomb/Silkie mix to me. He's a beautiful boy!

10. brennacat

Jun 21, 2014
    Thanks. I think he is pretty and it makes me happy that others think he is pretty too. Just sad that he cannot be used in a breeding program. LOL he loves the ladies but they are not so wild about him plucking their tail feathers. He has a pretty courtship dance.

His personality is good lol i he had been a true breed I would have thought about showing him. He likes being handled just like my silkie boy. The silkie likes a bath and blow dry lol .

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by