This is the saddest thing ever :(

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by FlappyCheepyNaniStar, Jan 9, 2010.

1. FlappyCheepyNaniStar

FlappyCheepyNaniStar New Egg

Jan 9, 2010
    I am REALLY sad today, let me tell you why.

Ok, so i woke up feeling fine, went to see our chickens. They were the cutest things on earth, little fluffballs starting to grow feathers. One was black and the other one was going to be white. But then, i was in the laundry, and our garage door was open, i went in, and the peices of wood we use to keep the chickens inside the box was "open" , well, i was a it worried then, but maybe some one took them out to play with them. But then....my chicken is lying on the ground, dead, its wing is torn off and its head is hanging on its neck by a little peice of skin, it has a big hole where its wing was and theres ants all over it. That was the saddest thing in my life, they were not even 4 weeks old! And like any very-attatched-person i started crying. then other chicken is missing, presumed dead. We dug a little grave for nani, which is her name, and we said a prayer for star- the other chicken. I remembered Flappy and Cheepy, who were our old roosters.

I think a kitty-cat killed them....i'm not really liking cats anymore

I'm not feeling too good at the moment, but what should i put on Nani's grave. Like what plants should i plant and stuff. And how do i deal with the loss of two great little chickens?

Last edited: Jan 9, 2010
  2. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    [​IMG] so sorry for your loss.

3. SteveH

SteveH Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2009
    West/Central IL
    I'm so sorry for your loss . That being said , dumping chickens is just as wrong as dumping dogs or cats . There are surely laws against it . Please get your roosters caught and rehomed .

4. FlappyCheepyNaniStar

FlappyCheepyNaniStar New Egg

Jan 9, 2010
    My roosters are on land owned by my uncle, and i think he feed them.....they are fine, and does practically giving them to someone count as dumping them? Also it was ages ago....when i was a kid. I had no control over the situation. i think they are dead now R.I.P Flappy and Cheepy

5. SteveH

SteveH Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2009
    West/Central IL
    I apologize for my statement . No , giving the roos to your uncle was not dumping them , and I admit to making my own mistakes when getting rid of an unwanted cat in the past .
    I usually keep my criticisms to myself , but have refrained too many times from speaking my mind about " free ranging chickens " when it involves letting them wander off your own property ; then complaining about other's owning a dog or a cat and allowing them to run at large . I feel that it is my responcibility to keep ALL of my animals on my own property where they are safe as possible and not doing any damage to other's property or animals . My neighbors have come to appreciate my efforts and started to do the same .
    Again sorry for your loss .

6. farmin'chick

farmin'chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    Rocky Mount VA
    There's a little, creeping groundcover called "live forever" that is lovely, and a planting of Hen n Chicks would be appropriate, too. The best way to get over losing the chicks is to make a plan for new ones that includes cat-proof housing for them, and then browse over the chick catalogs until you decide what kind you want to get.

Sorry you lost your babies -- you'll never forget them.

ETA: http://www.plant-biology.com/Sempervivum-Live-forever.php
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hen_and_chicks

7. RM44

RM44 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2009
    Woodstock, Georgia
    farmin'chick :

The best way to get over losing the chicks is to make a plan for new ones that includes cat-proof housing for them, and then browse over the chick catalogs until you decide what kind you want to get.

Sorry you lost your babies -- you'll never forget them.

I couldn't agree more! I had to put down my flock of 6 when they were ages six, seven and 8 months old. I had most of them for almost 5 months and they had just started laying about 2 weeks before they got sick. I was so incredibly sad and depressed, and the best thing that ever happened to lift me up was getting new chicks and making plans to correct the problems that caused my chickens to get sick the first time around.

Good luck to you. Google hatcheries to browse all the various kinds of chickens that are out there and have fun planning your next chicks.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by