This is too cute...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by sab, Nov 12, 2010.

1. sab

sab Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2010
    Ripley, WV
    My Coop
    Don't know if this is normal behavior but I would be curious to know if you guys have experienced this. I have 3 chickens and a duck (Hazel, Harriett, Hateful and Duck Duck - I believe they are aged in that order). My small flock were raised by my grand-niece before they came to live with me. Hazel began laying an egg a day about 2 months ago. She's a very loving bird - seeks me out to scratch her back. She will even let me turn her over and scratch her tummy. So does Duck Duck but that's beside the point. So I haven't been able to figure out why Harriett and Hateful haven't began laying. I believe they both are of age. I mean, an egg a day was becoming quite the joke around here. Been thinking maybe I need to get a light out in the chicken run so these girls will start puttin' out. Last night, Harriett came up to me and hunkered down for me to scratch her back. Whoa.... I said.... Not like Harriett.... This AM I had my first Harriett egg! Could there be a tie between obvious affection and egg production?? This probably means I'll never see an egg from Hateful.... or I may have to change Hateful's name......

2. buzymom13

buzymom13 I run the Alien Chicken Asylum

Apr 20, 2010
    It sounds to me like they are coming to you (as the roo) and doing what is known as squatting. It's behaviour you see right before they start to lay.

I'm no expert...just going by what I've seen with my own chickens.

Have fun and enjoy those eggs!!! [​IMG]

3. sab

Jul 28, 2010
    Ripley, WV
    My Coop
    That's awesome! They do squat -- and I scratch their backs and they stick that butt up in the air and get all fluffed up. Think that encourages/stimulates laying or should I not respond with scratching cause it might stir up sexual frustration.... Don't want'em chasing me out of the chicken coup!

4. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    Quote:Don't worry, they won't get frusterated. It neither encourages or stimulates laying, it's just the naturally submisive behavour of a mature hen. When they start squatting for you eggs are generally on the way within a week or two, but not all hens will squat so looking at how red their combs/wattles are is usually more reliable when trying to tell if a pullet is getting close to laying. I'm glad you have a second hen that's gotten with the program, two down one to go.

Even skittish hens will often get friendlier once they start laying so with a little luck you'll be able to enjoy Harriet and Hatefull ( [​IMG] ) more soon.

5. buzymom13

buzymom13 I run the Alien Chicken Asylum

Apr 20, 2010
    You're not going to "affect" them one way or another. They see you as the "roo" and are submitting. But it is a behavior that usually is followed by laying eggs afterwards (not immediately) but within weeks usually they start.

I have found that the pullets are sweeter and talkative more after they start laying which is nice since I like to kinda "talk" to my flock whenever I'm with them...LOL [​IMG]

6. sab

Jul 28, 2010
    Ripley, WV
    My Coop
    Thanks! I appreciate the response. Duck-Duck is the fun one. She thinks she is a chicken. I can't get her into the pond for nothing.... she stays right there with her chicks. Guess I better start thinking about a new name for Hateful....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by