This is totally the opposite of what you normally see, lol

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ebonykawai, Oct 29, 2008.

1. ebonykawai

ebonykawai Chillin' With My Peeps

People usually ask about dogs killing chickens, but my question is the opposite. Has anyone experienced a rooster killing a dog? I have a little dog and yesterday, my roo chased him and jumped on him. I had to push my rooster off the poor thing. I'm worried now and wondering if I should get rid of my rooster. My dog leaves the chickens along, minds his own business. He's a good boy. I don't know what to do now. Yikes.

2. lowcountrypoultry

lowcountrypoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

I have never had a rooster "kill" a dog..

But I had a HUDGE RIR rooster named Red, he was pure EVIL!
    He was so mean when I went in to collect eggs I had to cary a rake, and if you got trapped you would want to cry..lol.

One day he attacked my Dad and bit him through his jeans and broke skin almost all the way to the bone.. it was scary.

Well my 100lb. AKC German Shephard named Smokey loved chasing chickens, until one day Red i guess got fed up with it. He attacked the dog, and boy was my dog beat up, scratched everywhere.. and red was just ruffled up a little bit..

He ran my dog off lol...

My dog no longer chases chickens...

But as for red... hes long gone.
    (We killed him about 6 months later because of his attitude)

3. eggchel

eggchel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Dec 26, 2006
    Both Coasts
    Id say your rooster is doing a pretty good job of protecting the hens. Poor little dog!

chel

4. hatchaholic

hatchaholic Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2008
    South Carolina
    I've got a mean RIR rooster like that, too. His name is Buddy. We've been trying rooster therapy, but not quite sure how that's working. The bad thing about Buddy is that he will flog you when you're not looking...he sneaks up from behind.

5. pixiechick

pixiechick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Jonesborough, TN
    I've never heard of it happening to anyone but I think its very possible. Especially if you have a very small dog. I've heard of a small child losing an eye due to a rooster attack. This could easily happen to a small dog. We're culling one of our roosters next week due to aggression. For me, its just not worth the risk. :|

6. ebonykawai

I think I'll just keep my doggie with me when he goes outside, or put the rooster in the closed run. He really is a good rooster, I know he's just doing his job. This was kind of shocking, though. He's not aggressive with us humans. I pick him up and carry him every couple days and he likes us just fine. I'll have to figure out a way for the dog to be safe, but still keep the rooster. I can't imagine my girls going around without him. They love him.

7. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    Be careful! My Cogburn almost killed my Chihuahua. He tried to catch her and mate her, and his spurs ripped her to shreds. Cogburn went to live in a traditional coop with a bunch of hens and no access to anything else.

8. columbiacritter

columbiacritter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2008
    Scappoose Oregon
    My grandfathers meat birds were all extra's from the fighting cock breeder down the road. Even the hens were incredibly mean. :mad:

One day the neighbors lhasa ahpso finally managed to get through two layers of fence to attack the chickens like she'd bee trying ot do for over a year. My grandfather had warned the people several times his german sheperd would probably kill the little dog if it got into our yard. Well, the sheperd never got a chance, the 30+ hens and rooster were on it like pirahnas. My grandmother was the only one home and by the time she got out there with a broom to smack the chickens off it was too late.

So yeah, chickens can kill small dogs.

9. ebonykawai

Wow, thanks for the feedback, everyone. Yikes!

10. Kesta

Kesta Pie Crust Malfunction

Jul 31, 2008
    houston tx
    good thing we dont have any roos!they would turn our babies[chihuahuas] to bits. that rooster would not live to see the light of another day [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by