This is two question question

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by debilorrah, Jan 17, 2009.

1. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

1) it is possible for a bird to go broody before laying an egg - ever?

2) I have a RIR sitting on a nest, she is 21 weeks, no red comb, just sitting there. Why?

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    1. I doubt it.

2. She's either getting used to the nest or she's trying to lay her first egg.

3. debilorrah

For some reason I thought she was too young, but I guess at 21 weeks she really isn't. And just yesterday she was a wee thing.

4. debilorrah

I would like opinions on this please. These 21 week olds are our first chicks - the OTHER RIR has a red comb, but the one on the nest does not. She was on it all day!!!

5. krcote

krcote Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2008
    Concord, NH
    You're the one with 9084 posts! Aren't YOU supposed to be the one telling US?!

6. debilorrah

Post count does not make me smart. It makes me yappy. [​IMG]

Seriously though, I have learned a ton on this site, and of course it has to be MY birds that stump me. [​IMG]

7. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    She's probably getting used to the nest. I've got 21 weekers that just started laying. She's close, I'm sure. [​IMG]

8. debilorrah

I think she is close too. I confused by the one that IS red combed NOT being in the nest... Hmmmm..... mysteries to ponder.

9. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    Lauralou calls it "playing house". Hers and mine both had to try it out before actually laying anything. Mine sat in the nest boxes well before anything popped out of their little heinies.

10. debilorrah

Has anyone had a hen go broody before they start laying? I know it's doubtful, but had to ask......

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by