This is WAR I tell you! WAR!!!!

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by LoneCowboy, Feb 9, 2008.

1. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2007
    Longmont, CO
    Yep, I've had it with messy little food wasters. [​IMG] I have declared war on the waste of food. I will, if it kills me, come up with ways to keep these little waste boogers from wasting their food! I've fixed those little fuzzy butts in the brooder from wasting, now it's time to attack on the big girls.

I've already saved about 1 quart of chick food (just a couple of hours worth of waste). You may not think it's a big deal, but when you get 50 of those little fuzzy butts wasting food, it's a lot. They'll be here in 2 weeks so I'm glad I fix that. Well at least as far as the little chick feeders go.

I've got to step up the attacks. I'll post my tactics as I go.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2008
  2. Redfeathers

Redfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2007
    Gervais OR
    Go Get em Tiger!! Let us know what you come up with, I have the same problem...

3. roosters97

roosters97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    VA
    lol good luck

4. Yogiman

Yogiman Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2008
    South Louisiana
    Easy! Easy Now! Watch out for the ole blood pressure. Just remember that they are only chickens and it's only money you're talking about. [​IMG]

5. s6bee

s6bee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    Western, NY
    I posted something a couple days ago in regards to someone else having wet feed. Not sure if this idea would work but take a look at what we did for our small flock. You can buy any sz. PVC piping you want to make it hold as much feed as you want. We now bumped it up to a 4" diameter pipe and that holds much more.

[​IMG]

Maybe you can get an idea from that. We really have almost no feed loss.

Stephanie

6. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2007
    Longmont, CO
    That's a very good idea. I have 13 big girls though and I think they would get cranky at the lack of space at the feeder. I just might use that in the breeder coops though.

how many do you feed with that?

7. FarmGirl01

FarmGirl01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2008
    AR
    I hate it too. I started feeding a small amount at a time. They are ready to eat by the next feeding time. But they are broilers, thats all they do is eat. I empty the tray feeder into an ice cream bucket. Then I shake it and all the shaving come to the surface. Take the shavings out and you have wasted feed ready to be fed. Can't wait to move them to the big chick barn. It is WAR.

8. countryboy

countryboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2007
    i like that s6bee, thanks for posting the pic.

9. luvzmybabz

luvzmybabz Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2007
    Quote:Can I steal your idea we are working on the breeder pens this weekend and I think this would work great how many birds did this feed?

10. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    s6bee I'm going to use a modified version of your feeder in my breeder coop. [​IMG]

This is the feeder I made for my main flock.
    I used a large flower pot drip tray and a 5 gallon bucket. It works very well, and costs 1/3 what it does for the same design from the supply companies.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

I intend to put a large funnel in the bottom turned upside down to make sure all of the feed is delivered to the tray.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by