This is what happens when you don't listen to instinct!!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Ema, Dec 14, 2010.

1. Ema

Ema Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2010
    N. Ontario CANADA
    I have 6 dogs, my youngest has been vomiting for a few days with no other signs of illness. Full energy, no dehydration no nothing, just vomits full food and water not long after eating.

well today I was supposed to head out xmas shopping for a few more things I wanted to get my DD and DS. But I looked at my dog and decided to heck with Xmas shopping and I brought him in to see the vet. I know from experience that vomiting without any other serious symptoms and dehydration that its usually nothing real big to worry about. But I lost my other lab in March due to bone cancer and it was a serious blow to this family cause we just loved him so very much. Its actually still very hard to even bring him up.

Anyways, he had a full examination and then ran an extensive blood work test on him, I waited an hour for the results and when the vet called me I had to go back in. turns out he has indigestion and just needed gravol and something to settle his tummy. Doc said I could just have given him kids gravol and then plain yogurt but I was already there and the work had been done, so I went ahead and had them administer the shot he needed and bought the probiotics he needs to be on for the next 7 days. the total cost of his vet visit today cost about 250 bucks :-S

My initial instincts told me he needed a bit of gravol and to be put on a brats diet to settle his digestive system, I mean this is not my first rodeo after all, but I went against it. But I will say At least I now have piece of mind and my dog has his examination early [​IMG]

2. verity

verity Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2008
    Clemmons
    I think it's always 'better to be safe than sorry' with much-loved pets --
    You and the doggie will sleep better tonight after the vet trip - :)

3. Ema

Jun 4, 2010
    N. Ontario CANADA
    ohh yes I agree completely...I got people telling me it was a waste of money but then again their animals haven't seen a vet in years...

4. turney31

turney31 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2008
    palestine texas
    [​IMG]

5. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I did the same thing. The day before thanksgiving, Punkin was acting very uneasy. He's always been a bouncy, active, full of himself guy, but that day I came home, and he was just....off. Wouldnt eat anything, went to a very unusual place to lay down, got up, laid down, got up, laid down, panting. Well crap. His gums looked pale to me, too. I didnt want thanksgiving to come, and have him still be off, maybe something more seriuous, and it being Thanksgiving, having to go to emergency room, so I called my vet (who is about 45 seconds away from me), told her what was up with him, brought him in.

She checked him over, thought his gums did look a bit pale. We wondered if he couldnt have gotten into something, so she asked if I would be willing to take an xray (she has a digital machine, its so cool)...I said sure, lets see whats in there. Took a full body scan of him, tummy was empty, everything looked normal, but he had a huge gas pocket. Once we finished with that, we took him into the examining room, his gums looked much better, and he farted a humongous silent green cloud that made our eyes water. So $400 later, I took him home with the diagnosis of a big fart.

But we had a great thanksgiving, and he's been a happy bouncy puppy ever since.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2010
  6. Ema

Jun 4, 2010
    N. Ontario CANADA
    Quote:[​IMG] I have a friend that lives in Edmonton who is a vet tech and he was just telling me that a patient came in with a sick dog, the dog let one go and cleared the whole vet office....

well I am glad your dog was ok!!

Last edited: Dec 14, 2010
  7. Robin'sBrood

Robin'sBrood Flock Mistress

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    Quote:[​IMG]

8. Ema

Jun 4, 2010
    N. Ontario CANADA
    Robin'sBrood :

Quote:[​IMG]

thank you, he was the best, we rescued him from a pig farm when he was a pup, he was the last one and he was tied to a 2 foot chain, no water, no food, in mid october, he was tied to a water pump.​

9. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    How lucky for that pup that you found him. Sounds like he thanked you many times over. Im so sorry you lost him.

10. Rammy

Rammy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2008
    Quote:[​IMG] I have a friend that lives in Edmonton who is a vet tech and he was just telling me that a patient came in with a sick dog, the dog let one go and cleared the whole vet office....

well I am glad your dog was ok!!

<snicker> [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Rammy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by