1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

"This is what I do" vs. "WHAT THE HECK IS HAPPENING???"

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by amsunshine, Aug 9, 2010.

1. amsunshine

amsunshine Songster

Mar 24, 2010
    Kansas
    I guess some breeds are just more excitable. My EE laid her first egg last Friday, and made a whole lotta racket for the 3 mornings ahead of Friday. Guess some call it an "egg song" [​IMG], but it sounded more like a [​IMG] child with her finger stuck in the door to me. Maybe she missed her calling as a rooster!

At any rate, my BO has NOT been doing the chicken squat, but HAS been getting red in the face. Today she quietly went about carving out a nest, just a little under-her-breath mumbling to herself (I could BARELY hear it in the next room), and she laid this lovely little egg. Without much ado, I might add. It's almost as if she was thinking, "OK, looks like this is what I do, so I will just go do it and then go about my day."

See, no need for a BO to carp, complain, and sing. She just DID it. My EE, well, different story.

I did not know chickens could be so different!

[​IMG]

2. hudsonhousechicks

hudsonhousechicks Songster

Jun 2, 2010
    Austin
    Beautiful. I love my BOs.

3. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

Beautiful little pullet egg [​IMG]

I know what you mean about the noise! Some are so proud that everyone must listen, run over and look while others are stealth almost.

4. HennyJenny

HennyJenny Songster

Dec 26, 2009
    Bennington, NE
    My BOs are just like that unless you try to take the egg before they have fully inspected and given it their blessing. My five year old grabbed one right out from under Missy one day and I swear she carried on for the better part of two hours and followed him relentlessy cluck cussing him. It was hilarious but you can't get much sweeter than a big buff girl. Egg layers extraordinary! I am amazed at the different sounds the different girls make doing just about anything. My dorkings and my partridge rocks don't even sound like chickens some days.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: