This is what I think my roo is doing to the hens, I have some really bad, What do I do for them?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by bogee, Mar 9, 2013.

1. bogee

bogee Out Of The Brooder

Jun 19, 2012
    [​IMG]

2. PoultryGirly

PoultryGirly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2013
  3. bogee

bogee Out Of The Brooder

Jun 19, 2012
    where do I get blu kote, what is it. I have sprayed the wounds with hydrogen peroxide.

4. bogee

bogee Out Of The Brooder

Jun 19, 2012
    Oh the rooster has a date with the chicken dressing place down the road. He is aggressive toward my granddaughter who lives with us and this is the last straw, he's gotta go! I wont have him hurting the kids or the hens!

5. PoultryGirly

PoultryGirly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2012
    Blu-Kote is a disinfectant that you spray on the wound. When it's sprayed, it's already blue so the wounds won't be visible to the other chickens anymore, therefor it will most likely prevent picking at the wound. If you are planning to eat these chickens, though, I wouldn't use this product.
    http://www.mypetchicken.com/Health_and_Sanitation-Blu_Kote_Wound_Dressing__5_oz-P349.aspx

http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/dr-naylorreg;-blu-kote-pump-sprayreg;-4-fl-oz

There are different sizes of it. You can get it at your local farm store like Tractor Supply, or you can order it online.

6. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    There is also a bottle available with a swab, instead of spray. My old feed store used to sell it in the horse section. I liked the swab because I could get it only where I wanted.

I'd seperate him until he goes to the processor.

7. bogee

bogee Out Of The Brooder

Jun 19, 2012
    he is seperated. He is sleeping in a cardboard box at night and i fenced off a little space for him in the yard. Although he has to go, I wont mis treat him, I will eat him when he's gone, but will treat him as a living thing till then! I may start calling him waffles tomorrow!

8. MotherCharlotte

MotherCharlotte Out Of The Brooder

Aug 8, 2012
    Southern Ontario
    Oh dear, that poor hen...I'd be eating that rooster for sure. You said you sprayed the wounds with hydrogen peroxide - I'd say that should likely work fine, but I would also watch them carefully to make sure it's healing properly (I'm sure you will, just saying).

9. oh,PLEASE dont eat the rooster!!!![​IMG] how old is he?if he is young he might just need time to grow a little more mature

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by